13. Everywhere... But Not Here

INCOMING FACETIME: From BUTT HEAD  

It's late afternoon the day after my little heart-to-heart with Harry, and although I've tried to keep myself busy, my thoughts keep returning to him. After a few hours of trying (and failing) to edit a podcast episode, I finally resign myself to mindlessly scrolling my phone.

"Yello" I say, holding my phone in front of my face without bothering to sit up.

Niall appears on the screen wearing a white tee and a mop of very tousled hair 

"How's everything in the great state of California?" he says, his Irish accent thick.  He sometimes American-izes it so people understand him better.  He must not be spending much time with Americans lately. 

"Fine, fine." I say with a smile. 

"Good to hear, good to hear." 

"How's New York?" 

"Cold." He says.   

"I don't envy you that." I say. 

"Yeah you lucky duck you. Basking in the LA sunshine are ya?" 

I laugh. "Obviously." I say sarcastically. He knows I barely leave the house. 

"How's everything there? You feeling all right?" 

"Yeah I'm fine. My fever's long gone and I'm just finishing my last fluid IV drip" I say, holding the phone so he can see the near-empty bag behind me. "Then it's just the portable ones in the Eclipseballs. Believe it or not I might actually leave the house." 

Niall opens his eyes in mock surprise. "Call the authorities, she's going outside!" 

"Shut up!" I say with a smile. What a loser. 

"Soo how's Harry? You too driving each other bonkers yet?" He asks.   

"Ha. Nope. I think he might be a little bored but he hasn't run out on me yet." I respond, hoping he doesn't notice the slight blush in my cheeks. I cough into my elbow, hoping that if he does he'll chalk it up to exertion. 

"You'd be surprised Ay, when we had time off on tour, there were times when he didn't leave the flat for days. The guy likes his privacy." 

"I've noticed," I say.  

I'm ashamed to admit I've done my fair share of Insta-stalking in the past few days. I scrolled through his Instagram account for too long last night, looking for some hint of what he's been up to lately. Unfortunately, the only thing I found was promo material for his new album and upcoming tour. Not exactly what I was hoping for. 

"You could learn a thing or two," I joke, "I saw your Instastory this morning. Your selfies are an embarrassment to the Horan name." 

"You little shit!" He says laughing. "Like you can do any better!" 

"Wanna bet?" 

He pauses. "No, actually I'll take your word for it. I don't think I could defeat you in that challenge."  

We both laugh.    

We talk for a few more minutes before one of his stylists interrupts us, needing to get Niall ready for an interview. 

"Alright cheers Ay, talk to you soon!" 

"Bye loser" 

I set the phone down on my bed. 

My IV is finally empty so I get up and detach my line, throwing the bag away. I know I should hook up to my next dose but I want to revel in a few minutes of freedom. I take off my oxygen as well and do a little dance, enjoying the feeling of being untethered.