37. I'd Rather Not

"Wake up, Adie. Fuck. Wake up!"

Someone shakes me awake. Harry's arm is on mine, pulling me out of my dream. I pull back like I've touched fire.

"Hey, you're awake. It's okay, you're fine." He says.

I glance around the room. Neither my mum or Niall are anywhere to be found. I must look frantic because Harry reaches his hand to rest on my arm. I pull away.

I catch his reaction before he turns away. Hurt is etched into his face.

"Need your phone?" Before I can respond he goes to retrieve it. "Here I'll get it."

As much as I don't want to talk to him right now, I want to know where my family is. I haven't spent a single moment without at least one of them in weeks. It's pathetic but I'm panicked without them here.

I grab my phone from him.

Where are Niall and my mum?

I turn the phone to Harry trying to avoid his intense gaze at all cost.

"They went to get breakfast. Your mum looked like she hadn't eaten in weeks."
He says.

I pull the phone close to my chest.

Why are you here? I type

"Why am I here?" He echos aloud. "I'm here for you. Niall called me, I didn't realize you were this bad...." He trails off.

I look at him accusingly.

You'd know if you'd have stuck around.

Even though the words are typed I'm sure he can sense the anger behind them.

"I know, I should have-" before he can finish the door opens and Niall walks in with Sean.

"How's Jose taking the Irish lifestyle?" Niall asks him, pausing to wave as he passes my bed.

"Alright and all but he misses his coffee. I told the eejit to bring some with him, but did he listen? Nooo." Sean replies, sounding more Irish than he's sounded in years. Being back in the homeland does that to people.

Niall laughs.

"Good morning sunshine!" Sean says to me, not at all surprised by the sight of Harry by my bed.

I shoot him a death glare. He knew and he didn't say anything. Fucker.

"Bring him round one day, yea? It's been ages since I saw him." Niall says.

Sean gapes at him. The first (and last) time Jose saw Niall, he practically bowed down and worshiped him- he's that big of a fan. It was embarrassing for everyone. Since then, Niall has steered clear of Sean's now-husband.

"Yeah..." Sean says, "For sure." He shoots me a confused look.

I'm still glaring at him for not warning me about Harry.

"Anyway," Niall says, plopping down on the uncomfortable hospital sofa, "We had the most lovely breakfast out in the courtyard this morning. It's a beautiful day. What say ye we break you out of this joint for the day?"

He's got to be kidding. I can barely make it to the toilet, much less out of the hospital. Catheters are a bitch, by the way. I hadn't experienced embarrassment until I had the pleasure of having a tube shoved up my urethra.

The confused look on my face must be evident because Sean quickly chimes in.

"He means to the courtyard."

Ah. That makes a lot more sense.

"You game?" Niall asks.

I nod.

Why not. It's not like I've got anything better to do anyway.

Out of the corner of my eye I glance at Harry. He hasn't moved from his spot near my bed. I can tell he wasn't finished with what he wanted to say, but truth be told, I'm not that interested in hearing it. What I really want is for him to go away, and stay there.