Chapter 5: Myths and legends

I looked through the microscope when Rosy approached me, carrying a small box.

"Happy Birthday!"

I smiled; Oh, yeah. So now I was another year older. Great. Of course, I was not excited about it. 

Marcus appeared at her side.

"It's from both of us, by the way," he replied.

"It was my idea," Rosy said.

"But seventy percent of the investment was mine," he claimed.

"Guys, thank you, seriously."

I took the small box and opened it. Inside there was a pretty necklace with a cat-shaped silver charm.

Rosy came over to tell me something in my ear.

"I thought it would make you remember someone," she whispered, and I chuckled.

She was right, but it was a little the other way around. The cats didn't remind me of Anthony. Instead, it was Anthony who made me think of a green-eyed cat. 

"Thank you, I love it," I said as I put it on.

"Yes!" my friend exclaimed. "Well, I'll let you continue." And she left.

Marcus was somewhat thoughtful; I knew he had something to tell me. I sat down with the microscope, waiting for him to get encouraged to speak. Instead, he sat next to me and fiddled a little with his fingers.

"Marien..." he finally said. "I need to tell you something."

"Yes? Tell me," I replied casually.

"It's the last time I annoy you on the subject, so please, I ask you to listen to me..." he spoke nervously.

I sighed.

"Well, I suspect what you will talk about."

He gathered closer to the table and cleared his throat.

"I entered the library in the city and found a couple of books from a century ago. One tells the bright angels came down from heaven and acted in secret, creating a punishment for humans, but the other book interested me more. It was talking about legends of strange people with animal characteristics."

"Like what?" I questioned while changing the microscope sample.

"These beings were described as human, with tremendous strength, able to fight melee with animals such as panthers and bears. They also had claws, huge irises with cat-like pupils, and developed canine teeth, like fangs... It is certainly the Evolved humans' description."

"Yes, I see. And why do you tell me all this?"

"It narrates these beings didn't show up when they were young. They were always seen as adults, which creates the myth that they are not one hundred percent of their capacity when young..."

"It's a legend," I interrupted.

"All right, but... Think about it. We don't know how they are either when they are young. We can't penetrate their territory between the mountains. Thanks to those protective societies claiming they are still human, we can't make them fly in pieces..."

"You're a genocide," I said with a laugh.

"Well, that's not what I mean," he laughed too. "Now picture this... A young EH. He has no claws yet, his eyes look normal, the canines have not developed, but he already has enough strength to knock out another adult EH."

"Are you telling me that Anthony is an EH at puberty?" I interrupted him again.

"Just think about it. There is a possibility. I believe in our superior; I believed what he saw that night. He's not crazy."