The Kanawut

"Dad... where's mum???", 8 years old Gulf Kanawut asked his dad while crying. He wiped his tears and sobbed while shaking his dad's body to get an answer from him.
Silence.
Gulf shook his dad harder to regain his dad's consciousness. Not until, he earned a slap on his face.
Gulf were shocked. His dad realised his sudden action. He quickly hugged the crying Gulf. He should be protecting his child at times like this. What have he done?

"I'm sorry Gulf.. mom is dead. Wipe your tears, boy. You have school in one hour. I'll ask Bosser to drive you there ok?. Get ready", his dad soothed him while rubbing his back with a circular motion. Gulf felt safe in his dad's warm arms. He nodded and get ready for school, as what he was told do so.

———————-

"Where are you going dad?", 12 years old Gulf asked his dad curiously when he saw his dad rushed into their limousine.
"I'm sorry darling. I have a meeting to attend and I'll be away for a week. I'll promise we will celebrate your birthday later after I come back", his dad caressed Gulf's puffy cheek and gave a light pinch to cheer his son up.

"Hmm.. promise?", Gulf showed his dad his pink finger. He wanted his dad to deal a promise with him.

"Promise!", his dad smiled and intertwined their pinky fingers together, sealing their promise together.

—————

Gulf was sobbing hard when his dad announced his sudden change of school.

"It's for your own good, Gulf baby..Please", his dad slid an envelope filled with his new school's needed documents.

——————

Being the only son of The Kanawut family isn't easy. He needs to score well in his academics. He faced a lot of challenges while growing up. But, despite all that, he's was given a lot of loves and cares from his dad. He's grateful to have someone to put his trusts on.

Gulf is now 19 years old. He will be enrolling in a prestigious university soon. His dad took care of his documents and the fees as well.

"I'll be away for the next few months".

Gulf widened his eyes upon hearing it. "W-what dad??? —".

"Worry not. I assigned someone to take of you for the next few months", his dad smiled to assure his scaredy-cat son.

"Huh? Without my consent?", Gulf began protesting. He stopped his activity to focus on his dad's next words.

"I hired a bodyguard". His dad showed him a photo of the new bodyguard.

Gulf scanned the photo carefully.

"You know dad.. you know I hate having other people butt in on my business right?".

"Then, how will you take care of yourself alone? What if the bullies come? You can't even turn on the stove by yourself, Gulf. I can't always be there protecting you. At least let me trust someone to do that for me.. pleasee" , the genuinely anxious tone from his dad managed to silence him. At least for a while.

" He's around the same age of you"

"Tch.. how would someone around my age take care of me? He's still using his momma's money to buy his unddies", Gulf mumbled.

His dad sighed and pinched his eyebrows. His son is clearly a brat, what did he raised his son into in this past 19 years? Nevertheless, he still continued to brief Gulf about the new bodyguard which he just hired.

"— that's all. And he will be coming here tomorrow. He will be sleeping in the next building beside the main building", his dad arranged the documents on his table before leaving Gulf alone in his study room.

"Aish...." Gulf rubbed his temple. "Mew Suppasit huh?... aish.. nevermind, I can just ignore him like what I did to my past care takers".

"— because you're from the kanawuts. That is all. You're naive, Gulf. Stop seeing us", a familiar faces started to play inside his mind. A face that he wanted to forget. A face of betrayal.

His breathes became harder and it felt suffocating. He was gasping for air while his hand moved as fast as he can to reach his drawer. He opened the drawer and grabbed a bottle of pills, and swallowed it. His panic attack finally subsided.

Gulf take a deep breath and leaned back to his chair. He covered his face with his small palm. He cried quietly until he feels he is calm enough to continue with his studies.

————-
The following day..

"Have safe journey dad... please come back home safely", he waved a farewell to his dad, sitting inside their family's car.

"Take care honey. Your bodyguard should be arriving really really soon". Gulf smiled and nodded.

"Please bring back souvenirs for me", with his puppy eyes, Gulf begged his only father for some souvenirs to make up for his absence in the next following months.

"I will I will", his dad ruffled his hair and smiled. Then, the car drove out from the front yard.

Gulf watched as the car began to disappear from his sight.

As he wanted to get into his house, an unfamiliar car came in.