Healing Isn't Easy

Naira came out from the shower to see a tired Kartik sprawled out on the bed. He must have returned from his usual jogging. He usually insisted that she accompany him but today he let her sleep in, probably because she didn't sleep well last night and kept twisting and turning in her sleep.  She dressed in a simple skirt and blouse and walked down to the kitchen. She avoided the gaze of the family members as she greeted them. They tried to talk to her but she was just numb and couldn't reply.

She took breakfast for Kartik and herself and walked back to her room. She hurried pace as she heard someone shout loudly. Kartik was shouting at Amar. " Tumhe Chai banane nahi aata?" "Kya hai yeh?" " Mere liye black coffee banake leke aao, jao!", he shouted. Naira was appalled, she never saw him treat anyone the way before. 

Kartik was tired. Tired of life and the challenges it threw at him. He had enough. He didn't know why he was so angry.  He was overwhelmed with emotions. He had yelled at Amar for exactly no reason. He sat down, confused by his own feelings.

" Kartik." , Naira called him. " Yeh lo, mein tumhare liye Adrak wali Chai laayi hoon" she said calmly. Her voice was so soothing that Kartik calmed down instantly. He drank the tea and they ate food in silence. He rested his head on her lap." Naira, mujhe kya ho raha hein, mein khud apne feelings nahi samaj paa raha hoon." " Kabhi mein kuch keh nahi paata hoon, kabhi mein bahut guilty feel karta hoon, kabhi bahut gussa aata hein." " Mujhe kya ho raha hein Naira", he whispered silently.

Naira was unsure of what to say, she sang him a lullaby as she stroked his hair gently and watched him drift to sleep. He deserved rest, he blamed himself for this unfortunate situation.

Naira recalled the times she spent with Krish, the way he played with her and imagined her life if her daughter would have been alive. She imagined how her daughter would have looked, how Kartik and she would have dropped Kaira to school, tucked her in bed kissing her baby goodnight.

One was lost in sadness and faced the harsh reality, while the other took solace by escaping it. For all they know, this healing isn't easy.