New Beginnings

"Wake up Kartik!" said Naira while drying her wet hair. "Get up, Get up!" she said while pulling him up from the bed. He wasn't really sleeping but just pretending to be and she knew exactly why. The Havan. She thought about it the whole night but she wasn't actually ready for this. Attending the Havan meant accepting the fact that her baby was gone and she avoided thinking that. Kartik's yawning brought her back to reality. "Ab jaldi se jaake brush karo jao." "Okay,Okay jaa raha hoon" Kartik said as he walked to the bathroom.

Kartik didn't want to really wake up. He tried his best to pretend to sleep and forget that they had a havan. But fate is cruel sometimes when it is it spares no one. He brushed his teeth, took a long shower and came out of the washroom. He stopped in his tracks, he stood motionless and stared at his wife as though moving would make her disappear. "Wow, meri Sherni kitni sundar hai". 

Naira wore a light blue cotton sari with a white blouse, she wore her hair in a low bun with a simple white flower gajra. She wore a pair of diamond stud earrings, a simple diamond pendant and a black bindi on her forehead. It was a very simple look but to Kartik she looked no less than a beauty goddess.

She saw him standing a few feet behind her and turned towards him. "Acha ready ho gaye?, Chalo chalte he, sab hamara intezaar kar rahe honge."

He said nothing but walked towards her slowly a placed his hand on where his heart was supposed to be and whispered "Haaye!" close to her face. Naira closed her eyes, blushed and inhaled his scent. "Acha chalo late ho raha hai,"she said flustered.  He pulled her into hug and she didn't fight it but hugged him back. "I love you Naira," he said simply as though it was a fact. "I love you too" she said hugging him tightly. They stayed there in each others arms weeping silently, taking in the warmth and love. 

After a few minutes, Naira broke the hug " Oh ho tumne shave nahi kiya ? Kitna scratchy ho gaya hai!" she said making fun of him. "Accha ji, tumhe toh main abhi batata hoon", he hugged her close and rubbed his face on her cheek playfully. She was punching him playfully to get rid of him.

"Kittu, Naira! "Dadi called them knocking their door.

That's when they stopped and looked at each other. Knowing that their time out from life was over and all this playing was just an attempt to distract themselves from the huge task they had today. Accepting reality.

They held hands as they walked to the door.