Rain in Summer

5 months later. 

Naira hurries across the room to collect her belongings when she suddenly bangs her arm against the door. "Naira, aaram se!" Kartik says as he goes to her to see if she is alright. "Kartik mujhe bohut dher ho raha hai, mujhe academy pahunchana hai, phir wahan se competition keliye jaana hai.." she says pressing her fingers to her forehead in stress.

 "Naira,  baith jaao yahan pe, it's okay Naira, everything will be fine.." "Nahi, Kartik mujhe bohut darr lag raha hai" she says burying her face into her hands. 

"Naira.." Kartik says, holding her hands and pushing them gently to the sides, he then cups her face with his face and gently kisses her forehead. When he does this Naira relaxes a bit. "Dekho Naira, main jaanta hoon ki yeh competition tumhare liye kitna zaroori hai aur mujhe yeh bhi pata hai ki tumne aur tumhare team ne apna 100% diya hai. Muje tum par pura vishwaas hai aur tumhe bhi khud par vishwaas hona chahiye. Tum toh meri Sherni ho na?"

She looks up, nods her head and kisses him on the cheek. Kartik is suprised by her action but he smiles at her. "Thank you Kartik, ab mujhe chalna chahiye," she says. 

AT THE COMPETITION

Naira and her team are backstage. She shivers with nervousness and prays to Ganga Maiyaa, "Ganga Maiyaa, please hamari madad karna!". She then goes on stage to perform, seeing the crowd she feels nervous, she scans through the crowd to see Kartik showing her a thumbs up and an encouraging smile. She now relaxes , smiles back at him and waits for the music to play. She performs well and returns backstage. 

Naira is with her team in her alloted room, she feels a bit dizzy, most probably from exhaustion. It's late night and finally all teams have finished perfoming. "Mr.Goenka, Please come in." she hears her teammate saying as Kartik hands them a bouquet and wishes them luck for winning . 

She turns around to see Kartik in the doorway. She watches as her teammates leave the room until only Kartik and her are left alone.

 "Toh kal kya hai pata haina? Uske celebrations keliye kuch kiya?" he says moving towards her. 

"Kal? Kal toh Sunday hai" she says playfully and backs away from him.

 "Accha ji? Abhi yaad dilata hoon tumhe.. " he says pulling her close to him and looking into her eyes, "Yaad aaya?" . "Nahi"she says playfully . "Ab?"he asks gently kissing her forehead. "Nahi" she says again. He now kisses her cheek " Ab yaad aaya kuch?" he asks. Naira says nothing. He is about to kiss her when she holds her head and slumps against him.

"Naira!Naira kya tumne kuch khaya?" Kartik asks, now serious. Naira nods her head to say no. Kartik then makes her sit and pulls out Bread pakoras and flask of tea he made for her from his bag. He then tries to feed her but she scrunches up her face. "Bhook nahi hai Kartik.." "Kuch toh kha lo Naira,  tumne subah se kuch nahi khaya kya? Ab raat ho chuki hai Naira please kha lo." he says. " Nahi Kartik" "Lekin tumhe toh bread pakore bohut pasand haina?" he says.

 Before she could argue a clear voice from the speaker announces:

"Ladies and gentlemen we will now announce the winners of today's competition! All dance teams are requested to assemble on the stage."

"Chalo Kartik" she says but falters in her steps as she leaves. "Naira!" he says. He goes along with her to the stage and holds her tightly. They announce the winners and Naira and her team place second. 

"Thank you Ganga Maiyya!" she says happily. Of course she was a bit disappointed that they hadn't placed first but they had done their best. She turns around to see Kartik but he's blur, her stomach churns, she feels like puking and then she falls against him. 

Then she sees darkness.

It's 11: 57 pm and Kartik paces the hospital corridor, he shivers and fidgets his fingers. It has been 10 minutes since Naira went inside but his mind plays out the worst possible outcomes. He curses himself for not taking care of her well. These past two years were difficult for them but he should have taken care of her, asked her if she ate or slept well. They both had become busy with their jobs. He managed to come to her competition today somehow but he should have taken care of her just like she did all the time uncomplainingly.

"Mr. Goenka!" he hears the doctor call out. He rushes to the doctor and asks her, "Kya hua doctor, meri Naira ko? Woh teek toh haina? Agar uske medical history ka details aapko chahiye toh mein abhi mail kar deta-" "Mr.Goenka , aapki wife aap se baat karna chahti hai. Jaake unse miliye." 

"Naira!" Kartik calls out as he sees her on the hospital bed. "Naira tum teek ho na?" he asks sitting beside her bed, taking her hand while fighting back tears. Naira nods her head, her eyes brimming with tears. "Kartik-" he cuts her in between and says "Mujhe tumhare dhyaan rakhna chahiye tha Naira, I'm sorry Naira mein tumhara khayal nahi rakh paya, mujhe dekhne chahiye tha ki tum teek se kha rahi ho ya so rahi ho." 

"Kartik isme tumhari koi galti nahi hai." she argues. He buries his face in his hands, breathing heavily, finally letting out all his fears in the form of tears.

She cups his face and makes him look into her eyes. She then brings his hand and places it on her stomach. 

Kartik looks confused and she says with tears in her eyes, "We are pregnant Kartik!" Kartik is shocked, suprised, spellbound. He doesnt know what to say. He stares at her for sometime confused and clasps his hand to his mouth in shock, he is unable to believe this, he cries out of happiness. "Doctor! sunna na aapne Naira ne kya kaha"he says wiping his tears. Doctor looks at them , smiles and says,"Haan Mr. Goenka!" 

"Humara ek chota sa baby hoga Naira.." "Humara baby..."he says his voice trailing off dreamily. Naira can't help but smile at her Mendhak, he was happy after so long, they were happy after so long

He hugs Naira and kisses her forehead. This was unexpected like Rain in Summer. The joy that is immeasurable and indescribable and that it can only be felt.

The clock strikes twelve and Naira gets up , pulls Kartik into a hug and whispers - "Happy birthday Kartik!"