CHAPTER NINETEEN

NINETEEN | FALLING OUT

Geralt wasted no time shoving Caira's back against the wall inside of their inn

Geralt wasted no time shoving Caira's back against the wall inside of their inn. Their neighbors probably hated them from the amount of noise they made in the evening together. Geralt's lips reached Caira's neck as his hands felt for the buttons on her clothes to rip it off of her. She moaned as his tongue began to explore her jaw. She tried to focus on removing his various weapons belts, but his hot breath on her neck was very distracting.

"Fuck." She cursed as she tugged at his belts. Eagerly, Geralt pulled himself away from her and tore off his own gear and clothes within a millisecond, then returned to pleasuring the woman he couldn't seem to get enough of that past week.

He grabbed her muscular thighs and lifted them around his waist, her back still to the wall. His lips trailed up to her plump lips, and their tongues began battling for dominance. He led her to their bed and took one long look at her as she laid her head back on the soft sheets. She was everything. She was beautiful. She was strong. And the sex...he never, in his eternally long life, had such good sex with anyone.

Ever since the first time they had done the deed, Geralt grew less and less gentle with her. He learned that she enjoyed it when he treated her as his equal and used his full strength on her, despite her being a mere mortal. He loved her. And he felt like he had loved her his entire, begrudgingly long, life. And he wanted to keep doting on her, emotionally and physically as they were just then doing, for the rest of their lives.

* * *

When they awoke the next day, they gawked at one another from the bed. They were turned toward each other, simply admiring and soaking up one another's presence. Caira was observing his every feature, wanting to memorize it for the days they were to spend apart from one another. All the while, Geralt stared at her and imagined a life in the future with her. And that's when it hit him.

He realized how mortal she was. And how soon she'd age. It wasn't the aging part that struck him, because his love for her was far behind physical attributes—though, she was quite gloriously beautiful. It was the fact that she'd age like a human. And she'd live as long as any other human, which was far shorter than his lifespan. He didn't want that. He wanted her by his side until the day he took his last breath. Was that selfish of him? He didn't want to spend years after her passing alone. It would be unbearable. But, what could he do? There was nothing to do. Unless...unless—no. There was nothing he could do.

"What?" She hummed.

"Nothing." Geralt grumbled, closing his eyes to rest a bit more.

Caira scooted up to him, nuzzling her chest against his and setting her head right below his. He tossed his strong arm over her small, lean frame, pulling her in close. She listened for his slow, steady heartbeat. It was so unlike hers. She always had a quick pace to her heartbeat. She was always excited or nervous or just hyper when she was awake. The only times her heart was slowest—which was still significantly faster than Geralt's—was when she was wrapped up in Geralt's arms, dozing off.

"I didn't make the man pay," Caira announced, decided he was mellowed out enough for her to tell him what she'd done.

Geralt sighed. "What." He spoke flatly.

"He has a son, he couldn't even pay for an ale—" Caira began, looking up at him with wide eyes and a pouty lip.

"What is it with people fooling you with children? First, it was Yennefer, now it's this man?" Geralt sat up, pulling away from her.

Caira was hurt by his words. "Is that what you desire most, C? A baby?" He rose his eyebrows, chillingly, at her. "Then why are you wasting your time with me?" He hissed.

His bitter words stabbed her in the chest. "Is it not what you want, too?" She asked.

"It's not something I can want. And you know that."
"I don't want to have this conversation."

"No, let's have it. Before you spend any more years wasting away with me, then regret your life choices. You aren't like me, C. You're mortal. You have an expiration date. For everything. Including a baby. So, you have to decide. Do you want me, or do you want a baby?" He gave her an ultimatum. To choose. Between him and what she'd grown up learning was most valuable in life—family and legacy.

How dare he make me choose? She was shocked at his sudden words. He spoke calmly, but he was an experienced man with a somewhat level temper so it made sense he didn't cause a scene or an outburst.

"You're forcing me to leave." She informed him.

"No, Caira. You're choosing to leave."

* * *

Caira Defarge never thought she'd see the black soils of Astoria ever again. The mountainous ranges and the gargantuan castle loomed over her as if they were ominously greeting her. She stared, sadly, up at the palace that was once hers. She had nowhere else to go. She didn't want to work as a bounty hunter anymore. She was exhausted. And it was no life for her if she truly planned to have a family. Plus, she didn't want to have to run into Geralt again until she'd clear her mind.

She didn't feel like they had officially broken up. Something within her told her to remain calm, to not cry or grieve over their lost relationship. Something told her she'd be back in his arms soon enough. She wasn't quite sure how it made sense, but, what better place to clear one's mind than one's humble abode. She needed answers. She needed another way out. She couldn't possibly choose either Geralt or a baby. She wanted both—perhaps that was simply the spoiled nature of royal life speaking, though.

Nevertheless, she desired both. And she needed to know how she could achieve it. She knew she could confide in her sister, Ranya. The kind-hearted soul she hadn't spoken to in years. Also, she knew she could confide in her court's mage—Leianna. The mage was a shy, intelligent woman who had a knack for potions. Growing up, Caira always spotted Leianna formulating new concoctions to solve her stomach aches and runny noses. There was nothing else to do in Astoria, as conflict rarely crossed the kingdom, so Leianna tended to the children. Leianna was like a second mother to Caira when she needed her most.

As Caira approached the gate, the royal guards instantly recognized her feline eyes and took no time to allow her into the vast palace, alone. Caira trekked to the throne room, then nervously palmed the knob. She wondered if her mother would accept her. Or if she'd banish her from the kingdom once more. After all, she had dismissed the one obligation she had not only to her mother but to the entire kingdom—to rule. But she was still her daughter, despite all that. So, she had hoped her mother would allow for her stay.

Creaking as it swung, the door opened to reveal Queen Astris sitting upon the throne made of solid gold. Astris' lips curled, devilishly, upward. "I was wondering when you were going to show."

_________________

authors note | y'all are awesome. I love y'all sooooo much for all this support. So, I updated a lil early for you guys :)) I'm glad you're enjoying the story. Only a few more chapters to go until this book goes on hold until season two :)) (ps. none of these chapters have been edited. pls point it out if you see something wrong).