CHAPTER TWENTY

TWENTY | ASTORIA

"You're awfully pale, now," Astris mentioned to her daughter as she picked at her cuticles, not bothering to eye her traitorous daughter

"The south will do that to a person," Caira muttered, eyeing her snow-white arms. They were once bronze, due to the raging sun that Astoria provided throughout the year.

Astris' eyes flickered up and down, scanning her daughter. She had become leaner, the years of having to fend her herself as a bounty hunter had grown her muscles. It was quite an appealing look her, the fierce body matched the ferocity in her catlike eyes. "Come to reclaim your throne?" Her mother purred as if she had been expecting Caira to come back one day and return to relishing in luxury. Though Caira did enjoy some aspects of the luxe life she once lived in, she didn't mind the years of earning her coin herself and enjoying what little she received. She seemed to value her things--shelter and food, especially--now that she had to pay for them herself. This was something that she couldn't enjoy when everything was handed to her on a silver platter when she wanted.

"Unfortunately for you, no," Caira's lips turned tauntingly upward, "I've come home for a bit, to catch up with my family, and let them know I am still alive."

"Well," Astris hissed, "I see you are alive, you may be on your way now."

Caira tsked. "I've traveled all this way just to leave so soon? Where is Ranya?" She asked, looking around the throne room for any sign of her sister.

"Busy." Her mother spoke flatly.

"Ah, then I suspect I shall see her at dinner. I'll go see Leianna, now."

"Wonderful." Astris sarcastically spewed, pressing her lips into a thin, unimpressed line. She loved her daughter, more than anything in the world. She would do anything for both of her daughters, but, that didn't change the fact she was still disappointed in Caira. And that didn't change the fact that Astris still felt the need to shun Caira for shaming their kingdom. Caira would have made a wonderful queen.

* * *

Caira entered the same chambers she recalled as being Leianna's. Nothing had changed since she had left, which was quite comforting to see. The same viles and bubbly concoctions were messily spread around the room. "Princess Caira?" A soft, sweet voice called out from behind.

Caira snapped her head around, her heart warming at the familiar voice. She threw open her hands and rushed in Leianna's arms, embracing her tightly. "I've missed you." Caira sighed out, feeling cozy as she laid her head on Lei's breast. The same arms that consoled her as a child now wrapped around her, giving her a warm sense of nostalgia.

"I never knew you were going to return." Leianna breathed out, feeling a weight lift from her chest that she didn't know existed. A hole had been left in her heart when Caira left. Because Leianna couldn't have children of her own, her heart accepted Caira as her own when Queen Astris birthed her. Although she did love Ranya, Caira was the first. She had been the one to teach her how to love. How to care. And she had been the one to call her "mommy" when Queen Astris wasn't looking.

"I've come back for you, I need your help," Caira admitted, breaking their hug to look deep into Leianna's eyes.

Leianna's brows, she was perturbed. "What is it, my love?" She squeezed Caira's muscular arms. It was a vast change from the thin and lanky arms she once possed. Before she had left, her structure had been much more feminine and delicate. Though she was still as beautiful, if not more, as before, her frame portrayed a sense of strength and posterity that did not exist before. It made Caira seem much more confident, and much more venerable.

"I met a man, a Witcher," Caira spoke.

Leianna's eyes told her to continue. "He is infertile and knows that I want to bear children. He gave me a choice: to stay with him or leave him and have a chance of having a baby. But, I know deep in my heart that there must be another way. I want him." Caira's eyes began to water, but she held the tear back from falling down her face.

Leianna hummed, disgruntled. "I've never heard of magic that could do such a thing."

Caira reached for Lei's hands, "please, Lei. You always would always invent new remedies for me."

Leianna couldn't say no to those glimmering eyes. They were the same eyes that once looked up at her and shouted "mommy, mommy!" when something exciting occurred in Caira's life. "I'll try to find something to help you, but I cannot promise that I will be able to solve your problem, C."

"Thank you, thank you, thank you!!" Caira attacked Leianna with a hug, burying her head in her wine red hair. Leianna sighed, shaking her head.

* * *

Later that night, at dinner, Astris, Caira, and Ranya reunited in the dining hall to speak and catch up on old times. Nothing much had changed, except that Ranya was learning everything that Caira once had in order to prepare to ascend as Queen of Astoria. "I plan to leave by sunrise," Caira announced as she shoveled turkey into her mouth.

"What, why? You've only just arrived!" Ranya exclaimed.

"I am not welcome here, as I have rescinded my titles. And now that I see everything is going well, I have no reason to stay." Caira explained, getting up as she finished her plate of food.

"Wait," Astris spoke up as her daughter began to leave the table. Caira looked over at her mother curiously. "You may no longer be a princess, but, you will always be my child. Although I may seem...bitter," Astris coughed up, knowing she was quite cold-hearted at times, "but, do not hesitate to appear in Astoria from time to time. I'll have one of the servants to pack your things and send you off with some coin, to ensure safe travels."

Caira smiled small at her mom, glad to know that she didn't absolutely hate her for what she had done.