Chapter 5 - Serpentine

Yvette could not have felt more uncomfortable when she woke up. She observed her body and noticed that she still had the clothes that she had on since yesterday. The different thing was that she did not wake in her room. She was in the woods, the forest part of Belgrave University.

The serpentine stood up. She did not remember drinking in The Blade and Chalice after being mentored by Alyssa Drake, the Magistratus. She looked around and stopped on her tracks when she found two bodies on the floor. They were not just bodies. They were dead bodies. Their eyes were opened like they were taken by surprise before they got killed.

"What the fuck?" Yvette gasped when she saw two bite marks on each of the bodies. "What the fuck have I done?"

She kneeled down beside the guy's dead body. There was no doubt that this was her doing. She was the reason why her ex-boyfriend and his new girlfriend were now dead. The bodies were turning in the shade of purple.

"Calm down," Yvette chanted multiple times with hope that it would convince her to really calm down. She tried hard in remembering what happened last night but nothing came inside her mind. "For fuck's sake, what do I do?"

Yvette was entirely aware that she was the serpentine, but this was the first time that she had taken a human's life. It did not help when Emily Geller made it two lives. She started to wonder how she lured the new couple in the forest, or were they there when she arrived? Maybe Andy and Emily were trying to be one with nature by having sex in the forest.

She pulled her phone from her pocket and immediately dialed Alyssa's number. It was a good thing that serpentines were creatures who did not alter their body width when shifting. Because of this, her clothes were not ripped, not even a bit...meaning that she had her things with her.

Half an hour later, Alyssa arrived. "Why did you ca—What the fuck did you just do?" Alyssa instantly noticed the lifeless bodies on the ground. "You just killed two acolytes!"

"I—I don't know," the last thing that Yvette expected was asking Alyssa for help. However, she was panicking and she did not know who else to call. "I don't remember a thing. I don't remember how I got here,"

"We need to get rid of the bodies..." Alyssa hid her emotions. Two panicked girls in front of two dead bodies were the last thing that they needed right now. She should at least maintain her cool head to have a better solution to the problem. "...or we can bury them. Hurry!"

Yvette and Alyssa teamed up together to bury both of the bodies.

"This is bad, Yvette," Alyssa shook her head. "The Grand Magus will wonder why the two acolytes are gone...but she can't know about this,"

Yvette was taken by surprise. She never imagined that Alyssa was willing to cover for her, especially when she just killed two new members of the Order. "Thank you,"

"There's no need to thank me. This is not entirely your fault,"

"What do you mean?"

"Don't you remember what we've read about the serpentines yesterday?"

"I do," Yvette's heart started to beat faster. She clearly remembered what was written in the book of mythical creatures. How could she forget? "Serpentines are to be buried for two years when they have perfect control of their powers. If they don't, the serpent will consume the host until there's no trace of humanity left in the body and soul,"

"The serpent's taking over your humanity, Yvette. What do you plan to do? Maybe the Grand Ma—"

"Don't tell Vera Stone about this. I know what to do."

***

The first thing Yvette thought that she should do was drink at the university's bar. For now, getting drunk was the best plan to have. Yvette was drunk before...but tonight was different. She was downing the tequila double the amount of when she was with Randall.

Randall walked inside the bar. He was tired from trying to find Yvette who did not return to her room last night. He was worried like he was more than just a friend. He knew that he was not in the right place to get worried, not when he and Yvette did not have a label on their relationship.

"Where the fuck were you?!" Randall's tone of voice was frustrated. "You don't have any idea of how long I was searching for you! I wasn't able to get any sleep a—and I just find you here? Drinking? Really, Eve? Don't you care if there's someone who's worried for you?"

"I'm sorry..." Yvette mumbled before she drank the whole bottle of tequila. She did not need the shot glass. She figured that drinking straight from the bottle was easier. "Leave me alone, Randall. Please,"

Randall's anger and frustration went away when he noticed how horrible and hopeless Yvette looked. He had never thought that he would see her like this. Instead of leaving, Randall sat beside Yvette and placed an arm around her. "What's wrong, Eve?"

"I—I killed them," Eve's voice broke. "I don't care if it's the guy who cheated on me and the girl he cheated on me with. They're still innocent, Randall. I killed innocent people. They don't deserve it,"

Randall was not unfamiliar with the feeling of guilt when it came to killing innocent people because he had killed some himself. However, he had the feeling that killing two people was not the only thing bugging Yvette.

The werewolf wanted to ask more but he decided that it was best not to. At this time, he just wanted to let Yvette know that he was there and that he would never leave. Randall was eager to tell Yvette that he was in love with her...but he knew that now was not the right time.