Chapter 6 - Serpentine

When Yvette opened her eyes, she was in Randall's arms...again. The serpentine was getting used in seeing the werewolf every morning. She could vaguely remember what happened last night. However; she was sure that she drank a lot of alcohol.

Yvette squirmed and it woke Randall up. "Are you okay, Eve?" the man who was in love with a serpent could not help but ask. He could not forget how broken Yvette looked like last night. "Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine," Yvette sat up. There was no need to ask the question of how she got in her room safely. She knew that Randall already took care of her. "Let me guess...we had sex last night?"

"Not really," Randall stretched his arms. They could always have sex whenever he wanted to. There was no way that Randall would take advantage of Yvette in that vulnerable state.

"Why not?" Yvette was surprised. Randall was one of the most straightforward men that she had ever met. The guy that he knew ever since she was in middle school was aggressive.

"Not everything between us revolves around sex," Randall whispered as he stood up.

"What?"

"N—Nothing. What do you want to do today?"

"Are you not going to ask why I was drinking alone last night?" Yvette asked.

"You'll talk about it when you're ready to talk about it, Eve. There's really no pressure," Randall smiled. Yes, he was curious about why Yvette acted that way...but he had got to respect the serpentine's privacy too. He knew that they all had their demons that they needed to battle. "You don't have any classes today, right? Is there anything that you would like to do?"

"Randall Carpio..." Yvette could not help but grin. "...are you asking me out on a date?"

"Do you not want me to?"

"I'm not saying that, Randall,"

"So you do want me to?"

"You're such a dork," Yvette rolled her eyes. "I would love to go out with you but I'm a pretty indecisive woman. Why don't you surprise me of where we're going? Let me experience how a date with Randall Carpio would feel like,"

"That's great," Randall clapped his hands once. "I'll pick you up in about an hour. I need to shower and change my clothes in my room,"

"Sounds great," Yvette smiled before Randall left her room. She was excited about the date but a part of her knew that she should not be happy about it. She did not want to fall in love with Randall since the serpent residing inside her was about to take over soon. She immediately grabbed her phone and dialed her home number. "Hey, Dad...?"

"Hey, pumpkin!" Mr. Perry's voice lit up when he heard his daughter's voice. Yvette was a daddy's girl and Mr. Perry did nothing but coddle on her when she was younger. "How's life in the university? How are you and Andy?"

"Uh—I'm sort of in a relationship with another man now," Yvette chuckled nervously. She was not sure if it was appropriate to tell her father that she was in a relationship with Randall when she was not even sure herself. "His name's Randall,"

"Wait. Randall Carpio? Your arch-nemesis from middle school?"

"Yeah..." Yvette nodded even though her father could not see. "...and Andy? He's dead. I killed him, dad,"

Mr. Perry kept his mouth shut for a few seconds before he spoke again. "What happened?"

"I have no memory of how I killed him and his new girlfriend. I read from a book that serpentines are supposed to be buried. Is that true, Dad?"

"It's just two years. Eve," Mr. Perry sighed. He dreaded for the day that he would tell his daughter about the risk of being a serpentine. "Sometimes, it doesn't show up until you're forty. That's what happened to me. Your grandmother buried me when I was forty-two,"

"Then why did it come to me so early?"

"You have perfected the control at an early age,"

"I can't waste two years! I have a life here. I can't just throw that away. What about my future?" Yvette started to panic. She had no idea of what was the right thing to do. "Is there any way to get out of this, Dad? We can postpone it until I'm thirty or something?"

"I'm sorry, Eve. You need to do it as soon as possible. Do you want to kill other people?" Mr. Perry heard silence on the other line. "You are not wasting time, pumpkin. You are aware that serpentines are immortal. You become immortal after being buried. You have a whole life ahead of you. You don't need to worry about now,"

'What about Randall?' Yvette could not help but ask herself. She was clueless of why Randall Carpio was the first one who entered her mind. "Do I have any other choice?"

"I'm sorry," Mr. Perry apologized. "There are just things that you can't control for now. You can return to the university after two years. I will have you picked up on Saturday. Is that alright with you? You can say your farewell to your friends,"

"Is there really no any oth—Fine," Yvette surrendered. She was left with no choice. Keeping Randall safe from the serpent inside her was a better option that getting him killed. Yvette had never seen any downside with being a serpentine aside from now. With her heightened senses, she knew that she could do everything—everything except being with the boy that made her happy.

"That's my girl," even without Yvette seeing, she knew that her father was smiling. Smiling at what? Smiling at her misery? She did not know.

"See you, dad."