Chapter 8 - Serpentine

Randall Carpio was convinced that he absolutely and extremely did not get women. He was in his room—staring at the ceiling and pondering where events from yesterday went wrong. He was certain that Yvette was having a good time with him—but again, where did it all go wrong?

Randall was in love with Yvette and the werewolf was sure that the serpentine felt the same way about him.

Even though it was hard to explain, even with the constant meaningless fights they had in middle school, the two of them clicked.

It was not just the sex.

Randall knew that they connected deeper than a mere physical attraction. Sex was easy to get nowadays...but the way Randall felt about Yvette? It was sincere.

It was indeed, love.

The werewolf groaned as he got out of bed. He went outside of this room, eager to talk to Yvette so he would be able to determine what the serpentine's problem was. Yvette was one of a kind and if anything was bugging her, Randall would be more than glad to listen and help her with whatever it was that she was facing with.

As he walked the corridors, he bumped onto someone. "Watch where you're going, you bi—" Randall stopped himself from calling the girl who just bumped into her something that she clearly was not. She was hard to deal with but she was far from being a bitch in Randall's eyes. "Sorry, Lilith,"

"Randall," Lilith Bathory eyed the boy. Of course, she knew of Randall. However, it was a mystery to her of why she felt drawn to him. "Look, do you ever get the fee—nevermind. Watch where you're going next time,"

Randall's heart skipped a beat—not because he felt attracted to Lilith but because there was a chance that Lilith was recovering from her memory loss. The boy did not feel anything for Lilith with Yvette in the picture. With Yvette's looks, Lilith Bathory would not be able to compare.

It was not even a competition.

Yvette's brown hair and forest green eyes were enough to make any guy swoon. Andy Fields held Yvette's heart first. On the other hand, Randall knew that he was Yvette's present...and there was no way in hell that he would let this opportunity slip away.

There was one thing for sure.

The werewolf would stop at nothing to win the serpentine's heart.

***

Yvette Perry did her best to avoid Randall for the whole day and fortunately, Randall was nowhere to be seen. The serpentine thought that this was better.

The less she saw of Randall, the easier it would be for her to leave.

"Ms. Perry," Vera Stone leaned back on her chair like she always did. As time went by, Vera learned how to conceal her emotions especially in front of the serpentine. She did not want to feed Yvette with her fear after all.

"Grand Magus," Yvette address the woman with her proper title.

"What brings you here?"

"I'm assuming that Alyssa has already informed you about what the both of us found out in the reliquary?"

"The Magistratus had not said anything about that," Vera answered.

For a moment, Yvette thought that Alyssa Drake was really to be trusted if she did not report everything to the Grand Magus—including Andy and Emily's deaths. "It's about the book of mythical creatures,"

"Ah...yes," The Grand Magus nodded. "I suppose that you have read that you are to be buried alive so that the serpent won't consume your humanity?"

"You are aware of it?"

"Of course," Vera frowned. She thought that the serpentine was not giving her enough credit as the Grand Magus of the Hermetic Order of the Blue Rose.

"To be honest, I haven't really learned any magic here," Yvette admitted. "It's sad to say that I'll be leaving on Saturday—you know—to be buried,"

"I don't think that you have any other option, Ms. Yvette. Sooner or later, I figured that this would happen,"

"Right..." Yvette whispered. At some point, the serpentine wanted the Grand Magus to tell her that there was another way to avoid being away for two years—that there was a way for her to be with Randall with the use of magic.

"Don't look so sad. I can guarantee that you will still have a place in the Order once you come back in the university," Vera promised.

Being in the Order once she went back to the university was the least of Yvette's worries. She knew that eventually, she would want to finish her studies and get her degree.

However, two years was a long time.

A long, long time.

She was sure that even if she came back, Randall would have moved on. Also, she did not want to be unfair to Randall and make him wait for her return. Of course, Yvette could promise—promise that she would come back because her feelings for Randall would not change.

Unfortunately, who was there to guarantee that Randall's feelings would not change.

Yvette hated to admit it but she was not the only girl around. Randall was attractive in his own way.

There was no doubt that there were girls who had crushes on the werewolf and with the serpentine out of the picture, Randall's attention would be focused on someone else. Sooner or later, the boy would forget about his middle school crush.

There really was no way around this other than to leave.