Chapter 5

He said it would be about an hour long hike up the trail, but I didn't know it would be such an energetic walk, which proved my need to start working out again. It was a beautiful day out, the skies were so clear today. I followed behind him as he skillfully made his way up the trail. He knew what he was doing, me on the other hand, not-so-much. We didn't talk much, mainly on my part, but I was trying to concentrate on not falling and passing out. He looked back every once in awhile and asked was I okay or if I needed some water. He pointed out certain viewpoints, but he pushed farther.

"I'm taking us to the highest point, bear with me a few more minutes okay?" We passed a few people on our way up, all older couples, who looked like they were in better shape than I'll ever be in my life. Hiking up a few more curves, he finally he came to a stop, turning around he extended his hand to me. "Here grab a hold of my hand Brittany, I'll pull you up." Grabbing his hand, he pulled me up onto a huge rock to stand by his side. When I looked out at our view, it took my breath away. You could see almost a 360 degree view of LA. "Well, this is Clouds Rest." he said looking down at me with a boyish smile.

Grabbing my shoulder, he started pointing and showing me everything below us. "There is the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood sign to our east, that road below us is Wilshire Blvd., over there is Catalina Island I'm glad it's clear today otherwise we wouldn't be able to see it..." His words trail off as I think to myself how carefree and relaxed he seems. He has a day off and he's doing one of the things he loves, it brings a smile to my face as I watch him explain our surroundings to me. "...It's amazing isn't it?" I agree with him, although I didn't hear the last few places he mentioned, but I took it that he was referring to the view.

He laid a throw blanket out for us to sit on, while we rested and had a bite to eat. I noticed it was the same throw he had wrapped around him this morning while he stood perfectly shirtless outside of my car.

"Penny for your thoughts?" he asked. I gasped at his inquiry realizing I was deep in thought imagining his flawless bare chest earlier.

"Oh, I was just thinking about how beautiful this is." The words I spoke could go both ways, the view or the man beside me.

My crush had dissolved since I had been working for him, but that didn't stop me from thinking about how handsome my boss was. I had done everything I could today to leave him, but at this moment I was glad those events happened, otherwise I wouldn't be here right now sitting on Clouds Rest overlooking LA.

"The outdoors really suit you." Quickly turning my head to look at him, he greeted me with that boyish smile. I loved that smile. What do you say to that? I look and feel a mess, I've had on the same clothes for 2 days now, I need a shower badly.

"Thank you." I say shyly as he never took his eyes off of me.

We carry on a small conversation for a few minutes. He does most of the talking, asking questions about my background and where I'm from, I answer him.

"I haven't been to Atlanta in a long time. I have some friends there that I haven't seen it years," he said as he threw his sandwich down. The thought must make him lose his appetite, because he suggests immediately that we head back before the sun goes down.

The trek down the trail seems to take less time than on our way up it, and thank goodness for that. I don't know if I could take another strenuous hike like that anytime soon. I'll have to mention to Madi that we might need to join a gym and the sooner, the better. I hate working out, but if this is what the people that live here do, then I might as well get with it. If you can't beat 'em join 'em right? Finally reaching the SUV, I breathe out a sigh of relief, it must've been louder than I expected because he looked over at me and smiled, shaking his head at me.