Chapter 17

I poured three shots of tequila and placed them and a bottle of Budweiser on a tray and slid it to the end of the bar for the waitress to pick up. Today was slow, maybe tonight the bar will be somewhat busy. I looked around to make sure no one was looking and I poured myself a shot also. Tossing it back, I looked around one more time to see if I had an audience and put the glass in the sink and put the bottle back under the bar.

The tequila burned my throat but it made me feel better about the decision I had made. I laid in bed all night contemplating whether or not to go back to work for Harry. I wasn't ready to put myself back into that situation again. I knew it was too soon. I wanted to terribly, it was better money and better company, but he wanted to be friends and I didn't want to ruin our "friendship".

As I sat on my stool occasionally pouring drinks for all of the old souls that surrounded me, I kept a constant eye on the clock across from me that hung above the door. I had one hour left and I was more than ready to go home. I had a severe headache and my feet were killing me. I called Linzey to remind her to pick me up, but she didn't answer. I needed a car desperately. I have saved up almost enough to purchase one, so I had one good thing going for me.

Feeling my phone vibrate in my pocket, I pulled it out to see a text from Emma. "Sorry. In a meeting. It's going to run late. Can you call an Uber? -xo linz"

Sighing to myself, I put my phone back in my pocket and made my way to the back of the bar. I stepped outside for some air. I didn't want to call an Uber - that cost money. I didn't want to walk - I felt like my feet was going to fall off. I had no choice, I guess my only option was to call an Uber.

Walking inside once again, I missed the smoggy night air I just left. The inside of this bar smells like one big cigarette and I hate it. I'd take the LA smog over cigarette smoke any day. As I made my way behind the bar, I looked around and noticed a group of young girls laughing and talking in the corner. Why would they be in a boring place like this? I thought to myself. 

"5 shots of Tequila for that table with the girls and a bottled water for the man over there." Hannah, one of the waitresses, said. A bottled water? Most men almost drown in alcohol here, who comes in a orders a simple water? Shaking my head unconsciously, I poured the shots and placed the water beside them and watched Hannah make her rounds.

The girls were typical LA girls. They kept stealing glances at the man who ordered the water. I glanced at the man in the corner but I couldn't make out what he looked like. Propping down beside me, Hannah, pulled out her compact and freshened up her flawless face.

"What are you doing?" I asked.

"That guy that ordered the water is beyond gorgeous." she said. Then I realized why those girls were in here. They probably followed him in here, I mean why would anyone besides depressed older men and women wander in this hole in the wall bar?

If I didn't think this night could get any worse I was wrong. It started pouring down rain. A rainy day in Los Angeles feels like you are in an entirely different country.

I looked at the clock once again, I had 15 minutes left. This night has been dragging by. I glanced at the popular man in the dark corner and he was staring right at me. I turned my focus on cleaning the liquor bottles under the bar to distract from his glaring.

After sitting the last bottle down, I looked up to check the time, but I came face to face with the man. I was so shocked when I realized who it was that everything else became a blur. His mouth was moving but I couldn't hear anything or make out what he said. Trying to concentrate, I started to hear fragments of what the man was saying.

"Brittany? Are you alright?" he said. I looked back up to come face to face with his piercing green  eyes. I nodded my head as I gathered my thoughts. Why would he be in here? All of this time he had been watching me. Why? He knew me well enough he could at least come sit at the bar and talk, not sit in some dark corner being creepy.

"What are you doing here Harry?" I asked.

"Do you need a ride home?" he asked finally taking a seat at the bar. I shook my head. He knew I was lying but he didn't acknowledge that fact.

"Why didn't you show up today? Instead you are in this shit hole of a bar." He sounded disgusted. I didn't blame him, I'm disgusted also.

Clearing my throat, I stood up straight and made my way around the bar to sit beside him. "I don't think I can do that right now," I said. He turned to face me, but he didn't say anything, he just stared. He was good at that. He'd done it for the past 2 hours.

"Okay. I understand. Can I at least drive you home though?" he asked. I couldn't respond, I was frozen. I watched him as he zipped up his hoodie and threw the hood over his head.

He smiled softly at me and placed both of his hands on my face, "You are better than this place." That was all he said before leaving me and vanished from the bar as quickly as he came in.

I knew he was right. I was better than this rundown place, but I was letting my pride get in the way of what I knew I really wanted to do. That's been my downfall my entire life. I never accepted help from people and I always wanted to do it on my own. Hearing the cab honk brought me back to reality. I grabbed my purse, told Hannah bye, and made my way out the door.

I was running to my Uber when I seen Harry pull beside it and stop. He just stared at me. When I opened the door to get in, he pulled in front of the car and stopped. I was soaking wet and freezing to death. I was about to step into the car when Harry's passenger door opened.

"Are you getting in or what lady?" the Uber driver asked. I looked back and forth from the truck to the car.

Taking a deep breath, I shut the door and walked towards the truck. I got in and faced the man sitting beside me. He was smiling faintly but we both remained silent. After a moment, he turned and faced the road and pulled away from the curb.

I was watching the rain stream down my window when I felt his hand cover mine. I looked at him, but he kept his focus on the road in front of us. I should've moved my hand, but I didn't, except I returned my focus on my window, smiling to myself.