Chapter 14 [Harry's POV]

"Okay! I'll be down in a second!" I yelled at Jamie. Today was his birthday and we were throwing him a small party at the house. BBQing, sitting by the pool, socializing kind of thing. I really wasn't into it, but I overheard Linzey saying that Brittany might show up. I was in my room trying to find something decent to wear. It's been two weeks since she walked out of my house and I haven't really kept up with my appearance, I just haven't felt like it. Throwing on a pair of my usual black pants and boots, I looked at an old tank top and a blue t-shirt strewn across my bed. "She's not going to care what you are wearing, Harry, you idiot." I said mumbling to myself. After pulling the old white tank top over my head, I opened my bedroom door to head down stairs when I heard Linzey say excitedly, "Britt! I'm so glad you came!" Running back into my bedroom, I quickly shut the door behind me and took off the tank top replacing it with the blue shirt.

_____

The image of her walking out of my house replayed over and over in my head. I wanted to run after her, but I was frozen in my doorway. I should've said more, I shouldn't have let her leave, I should've done anything really. I mean for a guy that writes lyrics for a living, in that moment that I was watching her walk away, it seemed like no words had ever been written. But when someone tells you that they'd rather be anywhere else than be there with you, you're pretty much screwed no matter what you say. The only words I could work up to say was "I'm sorry" but she was already out of eyesight when those words left my lips.

I tried calling her for the next couple of days, but she'd always forward my calls. Linzey finally told me later in the week that she had been staying at her apartment until her roommate returned. Knowing that she was at Linzey's made me feel a little better on the inside.

So, I quit calling her. Instead, I picked up the guitar and went to work. It's what I done best - making music. The guitar and piano became my best friends in these past couple of weeks, more than they already were.

I secretly checked up on her through Linzey, but she wouldn't really tell me anything. So I took what information I could get. I overheard that Friday that some of the girls that worked for me were all going out, plus Linz. Immediately I thought Brittany would be there if Linzey was. So, I waited until they all left and Jamie and I headed to the club.

We entered through the back door and sat in the very back of the club watching everyone. I kept my eyes open for the girls, actually for one in particular. Surprisingly, it wasn't packed that night with people. I was taking a sip of my water when I spotted her on the dance floor with the rest of the girls. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, I wanted to go dance with her - like that one night when I saved her from Alex. That was a nice night. She kissed me that night. I felt a smile appear on my face at the memory.

I watched her dance back and forth with the rest of the girls. Guys approached her constantly but she ignored all of them and honestly seeing that made me feel good. I didn't take my eyes off of her for an entire hour and a half before I noticed she was leaving. Jamie met up with one of his friends and was in deep conversation when I approached him to tell him that I was ready to leave. He said he'd catch a cab and I made my way to my truck not giving it another thought.

I sat at the end of the alleyway in my truck watching her wait on a cab. I could tell she had a lot to drink tonight just by watching her, she talks excessively with her hands when she has too much to drink. Finally throwing herself into a cab, I turned out onto the highway and followed it. I can't explain why I did it, but I did. I somehow felt like I was keeping her safe , I can't explain it.

I parked across the street from Linzey's house and watched her until she closed the front door behind her. I felt relief when I watched her and knew she was safe. As soon as I pulled away from the curb to head home I felt like I couldn't breathe again. I don't know what was wrong with me.