Chapter 4 - Eighteen

***ADVANCED CHAPTERS AVAILABLE ON INKITT. Right now (April 12, 2018), there are already 21 chapters up on Inkitt for FREE. I post chapters there as soon as I finish writing them.

Please read there if you want more chapters. Next update here on Wattpad will be on: April 19 (GMT + 8) ***

CHAPTER 4- EIGHTEEN

Aerith's Room
New York City
The Next Day

-Aerith-

"Happy birthday to you.
Happy birthday to you...
Happy birthday,
Happy birthday...
Happy birthday to you..."

I opened my eyes and there was my best-est friend in the whole universe holding the biggest birthday cake I have ever seen in my life. She also held a bunch of balloons in the other hand.

"Good morning!" I greeted. Right now, I didn't care if my hair was like a bird's nest or if I had morning breath or drool over my mouth. I hugged my best friend tightly, careful of the cake she held.

"Happy birthday!" she shouted.

"Aww thanks!" I exclaimed as I accepted the cake.

"Now make your wish and then blow the candles!" she commanded.

"Okay." I rolled my eyes at her tone and then obeyed. I closed my eyes and concentrated on my wish.

I wish to find the place where I truly belong.

I repeated it inside my head at least three times before I opened my eyes. With a grin, I blew out all my eighteen candles.

"Yay! You're officially eighteen now! We can now go parttttyyyy!" Claudine yelled and we both giggled like mad. She turned eighteen three months ago.

Suddenly, the door opened revealing my foster mother. She wore a huge scowl on her face. "What's all this racket? Keep it down, will ya? Some people are trying to sleep," she hissed. Just like that, it rained on our parade. Cathy totally ignored the birthday cake, the balloons, and the fact that today is my birthday.

"Sorry, Cathy," I whispered.

When she was gone, Claudine tsk-ed and shook her head.

"Is she still pressuring you to move out?" she asked.

"Yeah. But I can't right now. I need to work a few more shifts at the pizza parlor before I can save up enough to cover the deposit for the apartment."

My friend winced. "That apartment is a shithole. It looks like it's going to fall apart any second. Or maybe before it falls apart, you'll get burgled!"

"I'll change the locks and make sure it's safe," I answered.

"Just come live with me, Aerith."

I shook my head. "We've talked about this, C. Hang on, let me get some plates so we can eat!"

I dashed downstairs and quickly got some utensils for Claudine and me. Also, this was my attempt at evading further conversation about me moving out. When I went back to my room, we ate the cake, giggling silently and refraining from making any more noise. I took a bath as Claudine waited. When I exited the bathroom in my towel, I saw Claudine holding out a dress.

"Today, you'll wear this!" she exclaimed.

"Wow. That's gorgeous," I sighed as I saw the dress.

It was a simple white dress with short puffed sleeves. The neckline was quite low and showed off a little bit of cleavage without completely being indecent. It also had sort of an empire-waistline. It was tight at the breast part and then flowed down to my hips and the hemline reached my knees.