Chapter 14 - One Giant Spider

CHAPTER 14 - ONE GIANT SPIDER

Aerith's Room
Hades' Palace
The Underworld

-Aerith –

"Good morning, your highness," Sapphire greeted cheerfully.

"Good morning," I replied. I stifled a groan and thought briefly about how I took naps for granted when I was little and now as an adult, I'd give anything I have just to sleep for as long as I want. I stretched and yawned loudly before I sat up.

Time to face the day, whatever it holds. Really, it's the only thing I could do.

"The king won't be dining with you this morning as he is busy with court so he just instructed me to bring your breakfast here," Ruby said, placing a breakfast tray before me.

Breakfast in bed? Now this is something worth losing sleep over.

A huge serving of bacon, croissant, eggs, sausages and orange juice was on a plate. My mouth instantly watered at all the food placed in front of me. I grabbed my fork and then noticed the flower, a pink rose, placed on the tray. It was made of gemstones just like the one Hades gave me yesterday. I lifted it and it caught the rays of the sun and the facets scattered a pink glow around it. Beautiful.

"That came from His Majesty. He picked it from the garden himself," Sapphire told me as she poured more orange juice in my glass. The gems were all looking at me with a wide smile. That was when I realized I was also smiling as I looked at the rose.

Uh-oh. Busted.

"I'll go and prepare your bath while you eat, your majesty."

"Thanks." I gave Sapphire a small smile and continued eating. Afterwards, I went to the bathroom that looked like it belonged in a five-star hotel. The large tub was already filled with water and rose-scented bubbles rose from the tub. I quickly stepped in and soaked myself for a long time. I've never experienced luxury like this. Not to sound too materialistic but if I made a list of pros and cons of staying here in the Underworld, this sheer luxury would definitely be one of the pros.

When I was done, the gems had already laid out a simple white dress for me. I quickly donned it and then followed them outside.

"Where are we going?" I asked them.

"His Majesty sent us your schedule for today. The first item there is that you'd have to be fitted for a dress for your wedding and for the coronation," Amethyst replied.

The word 'wedding' made me flinch. The gems giggled. Ruby shook her head and told me in a stern tone, "You better get used to that word, your majesty. It would be used many times from now on and we can't have you flinching every time."

That was true. Also, Hades said we had to put up a united front at all costs. I understood the wisdom in that. In this day and age, kings and queens are mostly figureheads. Even in that case, they never aired their dirty laundry in public. I can do this. I don't want to be the first to fail our agreement.

We entered another opulent looking room. On the center were sofas and a small coffee table. Three beautiful women were seated around it. They all rose to their feet and bowed when I approached.

"Err... Please sit," I told them and they obeyed quickly.

"Your majesty, they are Arachne's handmaidens. They will help in fitting you for your dress," Sapphire introduced.

"Nice to meet you. So which one of you is err... Arachne?"

The door to the parlor opened and suddenly, a huge spider entered. It was about double my size and those pincers and hairy legs looked extra scary. All the hair in my body stood on end. My heart leapt in my throat and fear paralyzed my entire body.