Chapter 7: Suicide

One year later...

"Astrid!" Hiccup yelled, catching up to me. I had seen him in JCO Cafe and I ran away as soon as possible...but he saw me.

"Go away!" I yelled.

"No, please!" Hiccup grabbed both my hands, sending tingles down my spine. I jerked my hands away, "No!"

"Gah! Astrid please!" Hiccup took my hands again and held his hands over mine tightly, "Please give me a chance. This past year I've been falling for you more and more."

"Hiccup I can't," I said, tears burning my eyes, "I don't want my heart broken again."

"I broke...your heart?" Hiccup asked, dumbfounded, and let go of my hands, "I broke your heart."

"Yes," I said, and ran. Tears were now flowing freely.

***

I was walking about the Bridge going to Mercury Stream. It was named by me. It's a stream I found when I was a child, that's why.

Then I saw man in the distance. He was climbing up the railing...

"Hey you, don't-!" I yelled but it was too late. He chucked himself off the bridge and into the small trench below.

I ran across the bridge and slowly climbed down the trench. When I saw the man...

All I could do was scream.

**

It has been a year since Hiccup chucked himself off that bridge. And I've mostly been cooped up in my room. But now I'm on the bridge where he died....

I was able to retrieve his phone, and what I saw there shocked me. He had sent a message to his cousin Snotlout saying:

Snotlout, I've been horrible to a woman. I've loved her, then moved on, then loved her again. I thought that she could be mine, that we'd be together forever...but I was wrong. I broke her heart instead.

But I'm glad. I'm glad because I met her.

Please tell this to Astrid Hofferson if you meet her. I hope she knows that even when I die, I'll still love her. Always and  forever.

And yeah.

I've been a total jerk.

I'm a murderer.

But, Hiccup, if you're out there, I'll see you soon.

Very soon.

And then I felt a sharp, stinging pain and I smiled.

Hiccup I WILL see you soon.

THE END