~2~

I'm so accustomed to your company

that I start to have fear of being alone

So I come to you whenever I'm needy

gladly know you never let me walk in Jerome.

<<<<<<<~*~*~*~*>>>>>>>

"Zhanzhan, I come back." Xian squealed as he climbed to his usual spot on the top of the rock.

"Welcome back."

"You're here."

"I always keep my words."

"You're awesome!" But Xian's excitement vanished quickly as soon as the next line came out of his mouth. "If and only if my parents can also keep their words."

Bo-di -known as Zhanzhan to Xian- was like a reflection of Xian's mood. Whenever Xian was happy, he was delighted. But now, with a hurtful look on Xian's face, he too, had his face filled with sadness. How he wished he could come out to console the boy. But he couldn't. He didn't want to freak the human boy out.

"What happened?" Bo-di asked. He thought that the least he could do was to be an active listener for Xian's problems.

"It's my parents. Being the top stars in our country demands almost all of their time. Business and private alike. Their hectic schedules always make them forget the promises they've made to me."

"Don't be sad. If they can't, I can," said Bo-di as he kept staring at Xian's face from below. "I will never break my promise with you."

"Promise?"

"Promise."

*******

Every day at the exact time, Xian would come to talk with his Zhanzhan without fail. Except for a few times of incumbent school's trips. Still, he managed to inform his imaginary friend the day before about his absence so his Zhanzhan would know about this.

However, Xian didn't know that Bo-di still came to their secret meeting place even though he knew Xian wouldn't be there.

*******

Years after years, their covert meeting kept carrying on. Sometimes, Xian would talk about his new toys, whereas the other time, he would talk about some funny things and guffaw to himself. Though Bo-di didn't produce so much noise when he laughed besides a soft chortle, something within him was extremely happy to its heart content.

But sometimes, Xian would come crying and talked about his distress. Upon those painful words Bo-di had heard, they almost disconcerted his laconic, suave mien to go and destroyed those who caused his friend's misery. And several times, he nearly exposed himself with the urge to come out and wipe Xian's tears off his adorable face. Nevertheless, Bo-di never let his temper got the best of him. After calming himself first, he would then try to comfort Xian in the hope of consoling him and brought back his smile. To his satisfaction, it always worked. And Bo-di would always send Xian home with a happy face.

*******

Times flew by in the blink of an eye. Before both of them knew it, both Xian and Bo-di turned fifteen. One day, Xian came to their meeting place with something in tow. It was a small letter in a pink envelope.

"Zhanzhan, look what I've gotten today." He waved the letter in the air and smiled boyishly.

"What's that?" Despite his weak sense of smell on land, Bo-di still found that letter reek of something.

"It's a love letter. The first love letter I got from a junior class."

Turned out that letter reeked of jealousy.

"I'm quite popular. I knew many girls have a crush on me, but this mèimei is the only one who made a valiant effort to confess and hand me the letter. Cool, right?"

Silence.

"Zhanzhan?"

Another silence.

"Hey, Zhanzhan. Where are you?" Xian tried asking and shouting a few times, but all he got back was the sea's sound. "Strange. He never ditches me before. What's going on?" Scratching the back of his head, Xian walked back home with confusion.

*******

After school, Xian went back to the meeting place with only fifty percent of certainty that he would meet his Zhanzhan after the strange disappearance yesterday. To his surprise, yet delight as well, his friend came.

"I thought you wouldn't come." Xian's voice was traced with excitement.

"I once told you that I'd never break my promise," replied Bo-di. Especially my promise with you.  But the last words were spoken inside his head.

"Why did you disappear yesterday?"

"I left."

Xian groaned. "I knew you left. But what I want to know is why?

There was no answer. Not that Bo-di didn't want to answer, but the truth was, he also wasn't sure of his action.

"Were you angry?" Xian asked again.

"What was your answer?"

"Huh?" Xian was baffled at the sudden question returned to him. "What do you mean?"

"What did you...reply to the confession?"

Xian mouthed a silent O in understanding. Sitting down crossed-legged on the rock, he stared far away. "I apologized to her for not able to return the feeling."

Every inch of Bo-di was contended upon hearing Xian's answer. With a quick movement of his lips that couldn't be certain to rule it out as a smile, he whispered, "She didn't deserve you.'"

"How do you know?"

"I just know."

"Whatever." Xian shrugged. "You know what, Zhanzhan? She's pretty, kind, and also comes from a good family. My parents would, without a doubt, approve of her." He sniggered as he continued, "But something is wrong with me. Regardless of who, I feel like my heart is completely locked away, reserving for someone. Though I'm not sure who."

Bo-di smiled widely and thought to himself. Because you're waiting for me.

But Xian neither heard nor known of this. At least not yet. Until that day. The night of his sixteenth birthday.

A/N: mèimei means little sister in Chinese