~8~

I never realize the true feeling I feel,

Not until death is within reach,

Yet when your confession is revealed,

The door to my heart is then breached.

<<<<<<<~*~*~*~*>>>>>>>

"Did you just confess to me, Prince Bo-di?"

That very one sentence made Bo-di's whole body froze. Hesitatingly, he lifted his head to look at the source of the voice. Once he saw two beady eyes looking back at him, Bo-di's face was plastered with a broad smile that reached from one ear to another. Though there were still tears rolling down from his eyes, this time, they were happy tears. "Xian, you're awake?"

Xian nodded and used his hand to wipe the tears from Bo-di's lower eyelids before the wave could wash them away. "I'm sorry I scared you."

Bo-di shook his head and took the hand that was cupping his cheek to plant several kisses on it. "No need to say sorry. As long as you're fine."

"But prince Bo-di, you haven't answered my first question yet." Xian still found the strength to tease Bo-di despite his weak condition. "Was I delirious when I hear someone say 'I love you'?"

"No, you heard it right. I said it." This time, Bo-di enveloped Xian's small hand inside his palm and squeezed it before looking straight into Xian's eyes affectionately. "I'm sorry, Xian, but I don't just consider you as my best friend. I developed romantic feelings for you since the first time we met. I love you."

This time it was Xian's turn to shed tears, "You should've said so from the beginning Bo-di, so I don't have to try so hard in acting like I'm trying to friend zone you."

"What?"

"I think I knew why I felt nothing when those girls confessed to me. It was because my heart was taken. I've been in love with my imaginary friend all along. And that friend is you."

"You..."

"I just wasn't sure that you feel the same. I thought my love was one-sided, so I acted like I don't care. But in fact, I truly care about you, Bo-di. I am sorry I yelled at you. Sorry that I accused you badly yesterday. I'm really, really sorry, Bo-di. Please forgive me. I-I ...I love you."

"Xian..."

Bo-di lowered his head once again, for he was attracted by the very lips that uttered the word 'I love you.' He couldn't believe his ears that Xian was finally his lover. His and his alone. The feeling was mutual. Xian also prepared to close his eyes when he saw Bo-di's face approaching. However, both of them halted whatever they were about to do when a clearing throat echoed in the room, followed by a female voice.

"In case you forget, I'm still here," said Zo-ey, who was folding her arms and looked down at the two lovebirds with a frown.

"Oh, you're..." Xian stared at the beautiful stranger in awe. Somehow he seemed to notice that this lady had the same eyes and nose bridge as his Bo-di.

"Xian. This is my younger sister, Zo-ey. Zo-ey, this is-"

"I know him. Xian, your lover." Zo-ey cut her brother off. Even though she came to accept Bo-di and Xian's relationship, she still couldn't overcome her years of hatred on the human that fast.

Though he struggled a little, Xian was able to sit up with the support of Bodi's muscular chest. He looked around before asking, "But Bo-di, what happened? I mean, besides from me...fainting." Xian decided to hide the fact that he wanted to commit suicide. After all, what past was past. Now that he and Bo-di had confirmed feelings for each other, there was no need to bring up the ugly past anymore.

"Well, it's a long story."

"How long? Can you brief me?"

Before Bo-di could answer, Zo-ey beat him to it. "I can brief it for you if that's what you want." Scowling at the human next to her tail, she continued. "My brother was confined by my king father for interacting with a human. That he hadn't even known that my brother here has fallen in love with you. If he had known, he wouldn't have just locked him up in his room. He would have had my brother down there in the dungeon. And you, on the other hand, would be dead even before the temporary mermen form disappeared."

So, Bo-di never planned to abandon me at all. Xian thought to himself, but a concern was overweighing the happy feeling. "Your father hates me this much?"

"No, he just doesn't like humans in general. He made a decree that interacting with a human is forbidden."

"But why?"

"I'll tell you later, okay? I promise. Right now, we need to get out of here." Bo-di looked at Xian with pleading eyes, making the latter unable to refuse.

"Okay."

"Can you stand?"

"I'll try. Help me up then." Bo-di gently helped his lover up, yet he still held on to the forearm to support him. "But where are we going?"

"Anywhere away from here. Ji Yang knows about this place, so it won't be long before King father sends him and the guards here when the news of my escape break out."

"Are we eloping?" Xian asked to which Bo-di nodded. With a wide-eyed gaze, he asked, "But you're a prince."

"Are you an idiot? For you, my brother already gave up his title as the prince and the heir to the throne. But these aren't the only things he sacrifices. He even-"

"Zo-ey!" Bo-di's voice was taut with a threatening sound that made both Zo-ey and Xian flinched. Both of them had never heard Bo-di talked like this before. When Bo-di saw Zo-ey dropped her face and fidgeting with her fingers, he knew he had taken it too far. He carefully checked that Xian was able to stand by himself before he swam to stand before Zo-ey. "Sorry. I knew you care about me, but some things are meant for me to tell him directly. And I'll take care of myself. Don't worry, okay?" She then lifted her teary eyes and nodded. After receiving a nod as an inaudible yes from his sister, Bo-di ruffled her hair lovingly, making the latter giggle in tears. "Are you sure you can handle our father's wrath alone? I won't be there for you to come crying anymore."

"Do you not have your trust in your sister, brother?" Zo-ey rolled her eyes.

Bo-di chuckled and patted his sister's head with the same hair that just made a mess out of it. "Oh, I never doubt you even for a second, sister. I know you're a strong, independent mermaid. You'll make a great queen."

"Thanks for putting your trust in me, brother."

"How could I ever thank you for all the things you have done and will do for me?"

Zo-ey grabbed her brother's hand and swam to where Xian was. She then took Xian's hand to put under her brother's. "Live the happiest life to both your heart's content," she beamed.

With a brief silence for sibling's gaze exchange, Bo-di replied with a grateful smile. "You have my words, sister."

A/N: The next chapter will mark the end of this story

A/N: The next chapter will mark the end of this story. Will their future path head towards happy endings or will it takes turn another way?