{2} Jump

"Starla Vause!"

Despite being the very last to choose, I still wasn't ready when my name was called.

I turn to my Mother who's sitting next to me, and she's got that serene smile of acceptance on her face.

She places her hand over mine and leans in close. "Choose what's right for you, not what's right for anyone else."

I don't speak. I can't speak. If I tried I know I wouldn't be able to control the swell of emotion that's bubbling up inside and threatening to break free. Despite my efforts, a single tear rolls down my cheek, so I stand before I loose control.

I can feel the weight of anticipation heavy in the room as I make my way towards the centre. Jeannine Matthews, Erudite leader, is officiating the ceremony this year and she hands me a knife with a polite smile.

I stand facing 5 bowls that represent a choice that will dictate the outcome of the rest of my life.

Grey stones for Abnegation.

Earth for Amity.

Glass for Candor.

Hot coals for Dauntless.

Water for Erudite.

I imagine at the start of the ceremony the bowls were pristine, representing a clean start to the rest of our lives. But now they are muddied and sullied with the blood of all those who have gone before me.

Jeannie clears her throat and I look up startled. She doesn't speak but she raises her eyebrows slightly, encouraging me to continue. I must be taking too long.

The knife is cold and heavy, and as I press the blade into the palm of my left hand I'm surprised at the lack of pain. It must be the adrenaline. I let the knife fall to the table, and cradle my left hand with my right. I glance between the earth and the hot coals. I know what I have to do.

My head automatically turns to look at my Mother, and she's still smiling while tears fall down her cheeks. She's already accepted what I'm about to do.

I hold her gaze, perhaps for the last time, and without looking at the bowls I hold my hand out and let my blood fall.

The Dauntless members are on their feet, drowning out the sizzle of the hot coals with their cheering. Amity transfers to Dauntless are incredibly rare.

It's like I'm in a bubble, I can hear them but it's all muffled, almost like my head is under water. I stumble towards my new faction, and I'm embraced by countless strangers all dressed in black.

There's no time to think about what I've done though. As there's no one else left to choose, the Dauntless representatives are already crowding the exit doors. Myself and the other transfers are swept along with the crowd as they pile out of the room and down the stairs.

Everyone is running and shouting; it's infectious. I can't help but get caught up in the moment. This is exactly what I wanted!

We all burst out of the entrance doors, into the cool morning breeze. The sun is shining and I've never felt more alive. The crowd spreads out, but it's clear where we are headed. The train tracks.

As we reach the tracks, the Dauntless members don't hesitate. They pull themselves up onto the metal support structure and begin to climb.

Now this I can do!

I'm the first transfer to pull myself up onto the track. I'm greeted with a wide grin from a good looking guy dressed all in black. I recognise him from the choosing ceremony, he must be Dauntless born.