{15} Visitors

Eric wasn't kidding when he said I'd be staying with him. I half thought it was just his overly possessive tendencies showing again, but turns out he really was being serious.

He justified it to Max that I couldn't return to the Initiate Accommodation following the attack, and only full Dauntless members could be allocated individual accommodation. All Dauntless Leaders are given large two bedroomed apartments, and as the only one without a partner or family it made sense that I should stay with him until such time that they felt I was no longer at risk of a further attack.

Even I have to admit, it's a pretty convincing reason to have me staying with him. Who could argue with that logic? I highly doubt he'd be offering to house any of the other Initiates though, if they had been the ones to get attacked instead.

True to his word, he came to collect me that evening as soon as the nurse decided I was fit to leave the Medical Unit. She'd strapped up my broken ribs, and allocated enough painkillers to get me through the next few days. If I needed more, she told me to come straight back and she'd make sure I got what I needed.

The walk to his apartment wasn't far, but by the time we approached his door, I was exhausted. Everyone we passed seemed curious as to why I was hobbling down the corridor with Eric hovering protectively around me, but no one spoke. I guess the sight of Eric scowling at them was enough to stem any questions they might have.

It was only after we arrived at his door, I realised we'd come a different way to the one I'd previously used. I'm sure the other way is slightly shorter, but I guess Eric figured I didn't want to pass where I'd been attacked. I can't help smiling to myself. In his own bizarre way he's just trying to look out for me.

He unlocks the door, holding it open for me and I step forward, but stumble clumsily, my body betraying just how tired I am.

Thankfully, strong hands catch me before I can fall and he gently scoops me up into his arms as though I weigh nothing at all.

"Careful Princess." He whispers, carrying me into the apartment and kicking the door shut behind us. "Let's get you to bed."

He carries me so carefully, holding me as though he's afraid he'll hurt me. With the utmost care he places me softly on top of his bed, and steps back.

"Thank you." I whisper, my voice barely audible.

"Do you really think I'd see you back in with those animals?"

"No," I shake my head slowly. "But not just that. You saved me. How did you know?"

He pauses, and sits down next to me on the bed. "I didn't."

"But how did you find me then?"

"I was going to my office. To use my gym actually, when I heard shouting. I went to see what was going on," He runs a hand through his hair and for once he looks surprisingly vulnerable. "They were taking you towards the Chasm Star. If I hadn't-"

I reach my hand out and place it on top of his, stopping him. "But you did," I squeeze his hand tightly. "And that's all that matters."

I yawn, and he stands up, taking a step back from the bed.

'It's visiting day tomorrow. You're tired, you need to get some sleep," He walks over to the chest of drawers. Opening the top drawer he pulls out a couple of different items of clothing, all black of course. "You can sleep in this if you like, I didn't have time to get your other clothes I'm sorry."

"Thank you." I whisper, taking the t shirt he offers me gratefully. It's oversized and will probably come down to my mid thighs, but it's perfect for sleeping in.