Part One

"Karma's a real bitch. You be wise to remember that."

-Michael Masters, Fallout 3

{Konohagakure no Sato, Land of Fire - two weeks later}

Twenty years earlier, Konohagakure no Sato was in its prime. It was the strongest of all the ninja villages. With clans such as the Hyugas and the Uchihas among their ranks, as well as the power of the Nine-Tails at its disposal, it was a village that commanded respect and feared by its enemies.

Now, twenty years after the Sasuke Recovery Mission, Konoha's power and influence has waned. It was no longer the strongest of all the ninja villages, as that position was taken by Neo Uzu.

The village itself was under attack by rival ninjas from the smaller villages, such as Kemuri, Taiyo, and Taki. Each attack was repelled by Konoha just barely, but it was starting to take a serious toll on the village. Parts of the village were still in ruins from repeated attacks. The village walls had numerous holes in them from exploding tags and animal summons.

And the war was just getting started.

Then the leader of Amegakure came to the village.

Tsunade Senju and the Konohagakure Council - what was left of it - looked down on the leader of Amegakure with great disdain. It wasn't the actual leader, but rather a Shadow Clone sent to Konoha from the Fire Capital, where he was currently at with his hostages, the Fire Daimyo and his family along with Kurotsuchi. With Sasuke dead, Tsunade was forced to take back the mantle of Hokage.

The leader of Amegakure was huge, standing at nearly seven feet tall. Dark hair was tied into a ponytail, with the eyes showing intensity, as well as hidden intelligence and stark ruthlessness.

In the twenty years since the conclusion of the Sasuke Recovery Mission, Konoha had not recovered from the fallout following Naruto's banishment. Tsunade had no love for Sasuke and made it clear. But she despised Naruto even more as she blamed him for Kushina's death.

Jiraiya was also present. The left side of his face was horribly scarred, a memento from Naruto. Using blood left over from his blood clone, Jiraiya had unsealed the Uzumaki and Namikaze Estate, only to find the place empty of its wealth and jutsus. The chest loaded with exploding tags was something that even he didn't see coming.

"Your ninjas disappointed me, Senju." His voice was deep and menacing. "Here, I was expecting a challenge from the village who fancied itself as the strongest of all the shinobi nations. If your precious Uchiha wasn't much of a challenge, then what is the point of talking?"

"You got a lot of nerve to show your face here," Tsunade shot back. "The Will of Fire is still strong in Konoha."

"And yet, you have failed in your rescue attempt of the Fire Daimyo," Tetsuya replied. "And there's no need for empty threats. We all know that Konoha is no longer the strongest of all the ninja villages. Your allies have long since forsaken you because of your past deeds. Tell me, Senju, did Konoha ever had their alliances back with Suna? Perhaps Haru? Even Kiri? I don't think so. You are alone in this matter."

Tsunade's voice died in her throat. It was true. Ever since Naruto's banishment, Konoha and the Land of Fire had become a pariah state. In less than two decades, Konoha had lost its status as one of the Five Great Ninja Villages to Neo Uzu.

"And even worse," Yuma continued, twisting the knife, "despite repelling attempts of invasion by the smaller villages, they have been taking their toll. Your ninja forces are down by what, half? Maybe more?"

"Konoha is still strong!" Hirotomo Hyuga, now the Hyuga clan head following the death of his uncle shouted. He had died while attempting to rescue the Fire Daimyo, along with his sensei, Asuma Sarutobi and cousin Neji. "We will fight you to the death!"