Part Three

{About three weeks after the Konoha envoy had left for Kimon}

The tension was very high in Konohagakure no Sato. Their salvation lied on the one person they had tried to kill. There were no civilians left in the city. Only ninjas. After the last attack, which had destroyed the Market District, the remaining civilians were evacuated from the city and sent to other villages in the Land of Fire. The village was locked down tight.

At the moment, it was nearly dawn. Hirotomo and the Hyugas were patrolling the main road leading to the massive village gates. The Jounin ninjas, now reduced to less than half of its strength, patrolled the city streets. The Root Anbu - now under Tsunade's control following the death of Sasuke Uchiha - patrolled the streets alongside the remaining Jounins. There were no Chunin-level ninjas, as Tsunade had express-promoted them to Jounin.

Things looked grim, but Tsunade and Jiraiya held out hope that Naruto's love for Konoha would save them.

If they only knew...

As the sun rose over the Land of Fire, Hirotomo noticed the scroll that was attached to the gate. A quick scan of his Byakugan showed that it was not booby-trapped with exploding tags or poison of any kind. Flagging down a passing Konoha Anbu, he ordered him to take the scroll to the Hokage Tower.

{Hokage Tower}

Jiraiya was summoned to the office of the Hokage minutes after the scroll was delivered. He found Tsunade behind the desk, with the color drained from her face, and the scroll opened.

"What is it?" the old pervert asked.

With shaky hands, Tsunade handed over the scroll to her partner. Soon Jiraiya's expression matches that of the busty Hokage.

What had been delivered to Konoha's doorstep was a copy of the Terms of Surrender, signed weeks earlier by the Fire Daimyo, Tetsuya Suzuki, and Kurotsuchi.

"The Fire Daimyo sold us out," Tsunade whispered. "We're considered expendable."

[KABOOM!!]

The embattled Fifth Hokage and her former partner turned to the window, where the massive explosion had literally blasted the door off its hinges, with the massive doors flipping over like a pair of oversize shurikens, crushing any Konoha ninjas that failed to get out of its way.

Tsunade knew that Hirotomo, Hana Inuzuka and the majority of the Main Branch Hyugas were stationed at the front gates when it blew. She had hoped that their deaths were painless.

Ninjas came charging in, weapons drawn, wearing the symbols of Ame and Iwa.

As the Konoha ninjas engaged the invading forces, both former Sannins came to a horrifying realization. Tetsuya's demand of a match with Naruto was a decoy to allow his forces and those of Iwa to move in for the kill. Tetsuya's gambit had paid off in spades. He knew of Naruto and his past as a Konoha ninja and had used that against them while forcing the Fire Daimyo to hand over Konoha to be destroyed by his and Iwa's forces.

Naruto wasn't coming. Konoha was done for.

The Siege of Konoha has begun.

"Naruto was never going to help us, wasn't he?" Tsunade asked as she and Jiraiya watched from the Hokage Tower at the deadly battle that was taking place.

"I don't think so," the perverted hermit replied. "Never thought he would. Should have known that Tetsuya would use Naruto against us. We all fell for it. Then again, after what we tried to do to him and his friends, we're not exactly his favorite people now, aren't we?"