Chapter 21 - Hiding

/* This is a short part, but it's gonna get better, I promise.  Thanks for reading! */

Keith's POV

Keith runs back to his room, his heart hammering. They're gonna see his drawings. Who knows what they're gonna think? God, why did he give into them? He should have burned those stupid pictures or left them all to Ina. Keith collapse on his bed, shoving his face into his pillow. Unfortunately, it's too hard to smother oneself, so he turns his head to breathe.

Hunk's POV

Lance picks up the file folder thrown to the couch and removes several sheets of paper, the outlines of something visible.  Hunk leans forward, hand out to grab a sheet.  Lance hands him one of the pictures.  

Hunk gasps.  It's him.  Hunk, drawn with a chef's hat and smiling happily.  You can tell from the curving lines that the image is drawn lovingly, as though the subject were important to the artist. There's a note at the bottom.  

Hunk.  Amazing chef and even better friend.  He gives the best hugs.  I would die for him.

Keith cares about him.  Tears burn in Hunk's eyes before they begin streaming down his cheeks.  Hunk holds the paper away so as not to ruin the image.  He glances up at everyone, each holding a page.  There is not a single dry face in the room.  Shiro is actually full-on sobbing and hides his face in his elbow.  

Hunk leans over Pidge's shoulder to see a picture of her grinning maniacally, rover hovering in the background.  There's a sweet note at the bottom of hers too.  From what it looks like, Keith had drawn a picture of everyone.  Silently, they pass the pictures around.  The only sound is that of sniffling and the crinkling of paper.  

They knew Keith cares for them, but they never realized how deeply he loves them.

Keith's POV

A soft knocking sound comes from his door.

"Keith? We wanna talk to you," Shiro's voice says, muffled by the door. Keith panics, and scrambles up from the bed. No chance he can pretend to be asleep, it's only been a like ten minutes since he left the lounge.

Keith crawls under the bed and props up the vent cover. He discovered this a long time ago and has used it several times. He knows how to get from his room to the training room and the hangar with the ventilation. None of the others know about this, and it's useful for a quick escape.

Keith wiggles into the vent and quietly lets down the cover. Harder knocks sound at the door along with louder voices. Keith know they are seconds away from bursting into his room. He drags himself farther away, heading to the hangar. He can hide in Black easily enough.

He hears the door of his room bang open, but then he's turning the corner of the vents and sounds from his room die.