Chapter 4: First Job

A day later, Renata was settled into her rooms at Fairy Hills, and was officially a member of Team Natsu. Mira-nee had recommended that she take a job request, and was now doing so with the help of Natsu and Lucy.

"You should pick one that's easy, since it's your first time doing this." Lucy commented helpfully.

Natsu shrugged. "But she's coming with us, so does it really matter? She can pick whatever she wants."

Renata studied the board carefully. There were escorts, finding lost treasures, and reading ancient scripts. After a few seconds of hesitation, she pointed to one that seemed interesting-

"Umm, how about that bandit removal one?"

Natsu and Lucy both peered at the piece of paper.

"Eliminate the Nightwatch Bandits...near a town called Elin...REWARD IS 3,000,000?!"

Natsu's jaw dropped and made an audible thud. Lucy's eyes bugged out.

Renata unpinned the paper from the board. "Sounds good, right?" she asked sweetly, then brought the job request over to Mira-nee.

Mira took a brief look at the paper. "Okay, good luck!" She scribbled some notes down on her job notebook, and smiled.

Renata skipped over to Erza, who was sitting at a nearby table eating a slice of strawberry cake.

"Erza! Look, I got a job!" The Requip Mage took the paper from her and read it over quickly.

"Alright. We can set off right away." the redhead proclaimed. "The entire team should come...I have a weird feeling about this." she muttered to herself.

Renata ran over to the table where Gray was sitting with Elfman and Cana, amidst a heavy discussion of what being a man actually meant. The bulky white-haired man was shouting, "Being a man is MAN!" and Gray was frowning and saying, "Didn't you say that Evergreen was man?" with a raised eyebrow. Cana was drinking.

Renata hopped onto the table, hovering just a bit over the wooden surface.

"Gray-kun, I got a job that we're all going on!" She eagerly showed him the paper, and he immediately had the same reaction as Lucy and Natsu. "Erza says to pack up and be ready to go soon!"

She passed this message on to Wendy, Carla, and Happy, then went to Mira-nee.

"I have all my stuff ready over there," the younger mage declared. "I can't wait to go on my first job with the team!"

Mira-nee smiled warmly. "I'm sure you will all do well."

Renata nodded excitedly. "I'll try to help as much as possible and learn what a real mage does!"

Mira patted the girl's head kindly. "Stay safe, and I'll see you after you're done!"

Less than ten minutes later, the entire of Team Natsu was standing at the doors to the guild. Renata was holding a black canvas backpack in her hands that was full of essential supplies, and the rest all had packs. After staring into the hall for a second, the young mage turned away.

"Let's go!" she shouted, pumping a fist into the air and jumping up with her wings spread, easily lifting off with a wild beat of feathers. She flew with the rest of Team Natsu walking below her all the way to the train station.

When they arrived, each purchased a ticket to the town of Elin, where the request had been sent from. Soon the train arrived and Renata learned that a certain Dragon Slayer couldn't handle transportation.

Natsu was hanging over the edge of his seat and moaning about motion sickness. Every once in a while he'd twitch feebly, and retch. Happy was sitting on his back and shrugging.