Chapter 8.2: Call Me Vesper (2/2)

Renata stared at the man, Vesper. A familiar nauseous feeling began to overwhelm her again. Biting her lip, she sat down silently on a nearby table and attempted to block the memories. It was like plugging a hole the size of her hand with a toothpick, however, and soon they were gushing in with the force of a waterfall.

Back at the cliff. The demon and Auria fighting, flashes of light and darkness everywhere. Renata clutching Akashi's hand, trembling. Akashi standing protectively over her little sister, a determined scowl on her face.

The demon swooping in, forcing Auria to dodge a potentially fatal attack. A cruel grin spreading across the demon's features. Akashi stepping forwards, a long knotted branch in hand. Auria shooting her wings back out, desperately attempting to reach them but failing. The demon reaching a gruesome clawed hand out to pick up Akashi. The indigo-haired girl yelling in fear and anger as the demon swatted away her weapon like it was nothing. The demon sweeping her up between two claws and flying away, his hooked wings beating.

Akashi gone.

Renata screaming, her eyes wide. Auria wrapping her warm feathery wings around her comfortingly. Finally breaking down with her head in her hands and the archangel murmuring sweet words in her ear.

Auria taking her hand and showing her cruelty in various places. Telling her how those people were bad and should be eradicated. That only the righteous should survive, and that one should have strong morals. Renata nodding while rubbing her eyes with a white sleeve.

They were cut off as soon as they came, and Renata was jolted painfully back to reality. Her gray eyes shot open wildly and she sat up straight as a board, a cold sweat forming over her body. She gasped for breath and clutched the edges of the table tightly. Slowly, the images of Gray and Lucy filtered into her sight.

"You okay?" The blonde mage asked worriedly. Renata had a moment of deja vu, but it soon passed.

"It was more intense this time...what did you see?" asked Gray, his eyebrows furrowing.

Renata unclenched a hand and waved it dismissively. "Shh. I'm fine...don't give Dark Eden any more weaknesses to exploit; namely, me."

This was received with a few reluctant nods, and Renata sighed in relief. Then she turned to the intruder, who was now grinning cockily. It was time for some action.