Chapter 5: Akashi

Erza sprinted the last few yards to the forest line. Natsu, Gray, Lucy, and Wendy were not far behind...except Lucy wasn't really doing anything.

"Ugh...she says." Horoglium said in place of the Celestial Mage.

Gray made a 'tch' noise. "You didn't even walk after it started raining."

"So what?...she says." Suddenly the clock spirit disappeared with a pop, and Lucy was dumped unceremoniously onto the soggy ground of pine needles.

Wendy immediately hurried forwards to pull her up. Lucy took the offered hand and straightened up.

A rustle and crack of branches from a nearby grove of trees startled all of them, and they quickly turned to look.

"If it's bandits, I'm all fired up!" Natsu slammed his fist into the other.

However, there was no cause for worry. A blue Exceed shot out of the trees and into Natsu's face.

"Happy!" gasped Lucy.

The winged cat unstuck himself from Natsu and hovered in front of the small group.

"Renata told me to keep watch for you guys, and when you appeared, to take you to our camp. That's where Carla is. C'mon, I'll lead."

The Exceed plunged into the dark pine forest with the team trailing behind.

-Renata-

Renata stared in at the busy bandit camp. She noticed that the buildings were generally shaped in a fence-like rectangle. The mage wondered if she could fly a scouting mission..then dispelled the thought when she remembered that she would stand out starkly against the dark skies. Renata turned and started making her way back to camp.

The way back was quicker than the way there. She was at camp in minutes, and found that Happy had returned with Erza and the rest. Renata sent them a wave and declared proudly, "I found their camp."

Natsu shot out of his seat. "Where? Let's go!"

Renata laughed quietly. "Over here." she said, showing them the path she had broken. Together they plodded through the branches, until they reached the hole Renata had ripped in the foliage.

"Whew. That's pretty big." muttered Gray with a sigh.

"Looks like a big organization," Wendy whispered anxiously.

Erza nodded. "We can take them. What's the plan of action, Renata?"

The girl looked up. "I was thinking we all sneak in with a partner, then make a circle around the camp. If they don't want to surrender, we put them down." Her eyes glowed a fierce silver.

"Sounds like fun," Natsu hissed. "Now or later?"

Renata shrugged. "We can rest first...but since we're all here already, let's do it." She pushed some leaves away noiselessly. "Everyone, pick a partner."

Natsu immediately grinned at Happy, and they high-fived. Wendy hugged Carla to her chest and smiled. Lucy and Gray were having a debate about who should go with Erza, which ended in Lucy partnering with Titania. That meant Renata was paired with the Ice-Make Mage. She nodded at him, which was received with a smirk.

"Hey, Gray, how do you feel about flying?" The dark-haired mage shrugged. "I'm not afraid of heights, if that's what you're asking." Now it was Renata's turn to grin. "That's good."

The mages spread along the perimeter of the barracks. Renata was flying around the bandit camp with Gray dangling from her hands. She was holding his shoulders so he had greater freedom of movement, but he still looked rather comical hanging there.