09 - Routine

Valeria

It's the next day. Lorenzo didn't come near me the whole day just like I requested. I stayed in the kitchen most of the time to avoid seeing him. I didn't even see him when I put the food on the table and called everyone. He wasn't there.

It's so awkward for me to live here now that I had that encounter with Lorenzo. I feel like I don't want to see him ever because I am afraid he'll hurt me again. Thinking about that takes me back in time to when my mother used to hit me on occasion. She was savage when it came to hitting me. She wasn't a compassionate mother, nor kind. She was anything but a good mother. I remember one time my mother was fighting with my father and calling him names. I stood up for him and in return got a punch in my face for interfering.

"Valeria, are you okay?" Mrs. Gonzalez asks, making me realize that I have been standing in the dining room and daydreaming.

"Yes, sorry..."

"Would you like to have breakfast with us?" She asks, already knowing the answer.

"Maybe another time, Mrs. Gonzalez. Thank you."

She nods, not asking further. She knows that I don't feel comfortable no matter how many times she tried to make me feel welcomed.

I go back to the kitchen and tidy things up. I clean the counters, and the stove, and wash the dishes. I sigh once I finish, realizing that I still have to clean the rooms.

I start with Mr. and Mrs. Gonzalez's room. I make the bed, wash the bathroom, and sweep the floor. I do the same things with Sophia's and Lorenzo's rooms. Sarah is finally coming in three days and I am so nervous about how she'll treat me.

When I finish my work, I go back to the dining room and take all the plates back to the kitchen.

It really amazes me why Mrs. Gonzalez doesn't hire more staff for her kitchen. I understand they are in the mafia and need to be careful, but just like how she trusted me, she could trust others, right?

After washing the rest of the dishes, I finally sit down and scroll on my phone a little bit. After that, I decided to call my father and check up on him.

"Hello, honey. How's everything?"

"Hey, dad. Everything is all right. What about you?"

"I am good. Don't worry about your old man. What's important is you. Don't forget to save up and enroll at the university like you've always wanted, okay?"

"Dad, you know we need to do your surgery first and then I'll think about university."

"Valeria, forget about the surgery. I don't want to do it. Promise me you'll think about yourself and no one else."

"But dad—"

"Valeria, promise me."

I sigh and say, "I promise."

Saying our goodbyes, I hang up and place the phone on the counter at the same time Sophia enters the kitchen.

"Sophia, do you need something?" I ask, standing up.

"Relax, Val. I just need a cup of water." She grins, getting a cup from the cupboard and filling it with cold water from the fridge.

"How's your stay so far, are you happy? Or you miss home?" She opens up a conversation.

"Well, so far so good. I miss my father, but I am happy here."

"I am sorry to ask, but your mother is still alive, right?"

I clear my throat and nod. "We're just not that close."

"Oh, okay...by the way, would you like to come with me today to the coffee shop? I am meeting with some friends today."