New Beginnings

The series of doorbell jolts me up. I put the paintbrush down and wipe my dirty hands. I peek from the small veranda in my attic to see who could it be. Yoonie follows me from behind and looks up to me. His cute face move sideways, confused. I smile and scoop him up. Other than a brown-haired-guy, I can't see no more so I decide to head down the spiral stairs leading to the second floor. I put Yoonie to the marble floor and I go down, my steps in a rush.

As I head to the front gate, my mind is wandering, full of curiosity. Could it be the mailman? My hands finally reach for the metal handle, opening it. A tall man with a chocolate brown hair is standing outside. His fair complexion complimented his hair very well. I look up at his face. His brown mono-lid eyes directly stare at me with such uncertainty, his thin lips in between his teeth. He seems nervous. Whatever the reason is, I don't have any idea. He's not that skinny, not that bulky either. Just the right body built. I look back at his face.

"Can I help you?" I speak and give him a kind smile.

He bites his lips in a bit intense manner with my question and brushes his brown locks with his slender hands. I clear my throat and stand firmly. This is the first time that I see him and I will never deny that he looks so enchanting. His features are too good to be true.

"I-I'm here to get back my cat." He stammers as he rubs his neck.

For a moment, I'm speechless as I try hard to comprehend what he's saying. My mind's running in circles. I almost laugh when I realize what he means. "A cat? You lost your cat?"

"Yeah, someone told me you found him." He answers and flashes his shy yet brilliant smile.

As if on cue, Yoonie's already beneath my legs, purring like the sweet cat that he is. "Oh, my baby." I lift him up my chest, cradling him like a child. The stranger's eyes lights up in recognition upon seeing the fluffy orange ball in my arms.

"He has gotten fatter. Seems like you're taking care of him well." He chuckles.

I nod and caresses Yoonie's soft hair. "I love cats." My smile's as bright as the sun. He crosses his arms and glances at me. This time, he stares at me with warmth in his eyes. We are silent for the next few seconds while we're savoring the moment studying each other's features, creating a comfortable atmosphere between us.

I pull away first, hiding my smile. Yoonie keeps on meowing and I thank the heavens for it.

Clearing my throat, "D-do you want to have a cup of coffee?"

He seems surprised otherwise he gives another smile.

"Um, let's talk about Yoonie's custody." I follow up. The reason sounds so vague nevertheless I say it in a serious way.

"Sure." He responds, amusement in his voice.

I open the gate wider for him to get inside. I guide the stranger to one of the couches.

I settle Yoonie down. "Go to your daddy for a while, baby." The cat meows in response then I cover my mouth. I inspect the stranger's reaction and he just grins. "Come here, baby," he slowly lifts Yoonie up to his lap, "mommy's going to prepare coffee for daddy."

The man comfortably leans back at the couch and winks at me. My mouth hangs open as I feel the warmth slowly creeping on my cheeks. What did I just do? Shaking my head at my stupidity, I head to the kitchen. Every once in a while, I will steal a glimpse of the stranger playing with his long lost cat.

"This is going to be a long day." I mumble to myself.

Maybe, this peculiar event will lead to something wonderful, but before that, I have to make sure that Yoonie will stay with me, depending on the agreement that we will discuss. I'm not going to allow anyone to take the only source of my happiness right now anymore.

Not now, ever.

Fin.