* . ʷʳⁱᵗⁱⁿᵍ ᶠⁱʳˢᵗ ˢᵉⁿᵗᵉⁿᶜᵉˢ .

༉˚*ೃ 𝐖𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐅𝐈𝐑𝐒𝐓 𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐄𝐍𝐂𝐄𝐒.

first sentences of stories need to punch. i know that when you're writing fanfiction, it's not necessarily as important because people aren't always here for novel-quality writing, but if you're writing a professional book that you plan to publish, or an original novel, the first sentence is always number one. it's the first line of your novel a publisher will look at, the first people will read in a bookstore. in many ways, it's the foundation of your novel. a punchy, memorable first line will always be more likely to be read than one that holds no meaning at all.

stephen king once said, in an article in the atlantic:

                    .      &    →   ¹

" an opening line should invite the reader to begin the story. it should say, listen. come in here. you want to know about this. " 

in the telegraph, simon kernick stated:

                    .      &    →   ²

" for me, the most important bit is that you grip your reader from the start. all good writers really need to think about the first line, it's hugely important. if you spend too much time setting things up, these days it's not going to work. " 

MEMORABLE FIRST LINES.   →      *   .    &

here are my favourite memorable first lines from celebrated novels. let these inspire you!:

.     &     ━     "it is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife"   →   jane austen, pride and prejudice (1813). an unforgettable line that almost everybody knows .