* . ᶠᵃⁿᶠⁱᶜ⁻ʳᵉᵃᵈⁱⁿᵍ ᵉᵗⁱqᵘᵉᵗᵗᵉ.

༉˚*ೃ 𝐅𝐀𝐍𝐅𝐈𝐂-𝐑𝐄𝐀𝐃𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐄𝐓𝐈𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐓𝐓𝐄.

i know that this book is technically for writing tips, but if you happen to be a reader who's stumbled upon this, or who a disgruntled fanfic writer has sent you this link to, welcome! this'll be a rundown on how to be a helpful and encouraging fic reader, and exactly what not to do, because i've had people do these "what NOT to do" on all my fics and they always make me feel,,, less than satisfied.

all of these "what to do"s and "what not to do"s have been collected from authors i know on this site and who've either sent in these points to me, or who i've seen conveying how much it has hurt them before, so please remember that we authors are real people and not just writing machines for your enjoyment! we are real, even though it can seem like we're just invisible beings behind the screen, and we have feelings too. thank you to my mutuals and followers who sent these in!

also, just to clarify in case people reading this don't get the abbreviations: oc = original character; fc = faceclaim; og = original.

WHAT TO DO.   →      *   .    &

.     &     ━     engage with wips    →   any engagement is wildly appreciated. votes, comments, anything of the like. just don't be a ghostreader! we work super hard for free (ik a lot of authors might mention the "for free" part but please understand, we spend enough time writing on here that this could be our full-time job, except we make absolutely zero money off of it, and it often intereferes with our real life job or schooling) and getting no interactions can be discouraging! i spend approximately 40 hours a week (sometimes more) working on fics, between my time at university and my actual job, it's a lot of effort to be a fic writer! it's really helpful to get kind feedback and encouragement !

.     &     ━     follow the author's social medias!   →   most of us have writing-related or personal instagram, twitter, tumblr, spotify and pinterest (sometimes more) social media accounts in the bios on our profiles, where we post more about our stories, etc! it's always encouraging when we get followed on there, and it's a good way to see what we're working on next or get previews of new chapters / stories .