* . ᶜᵒᵐᵐᵒⁿˡʸ ᵐⁱˣᵉᵈ⁻ᵘᵖ ʷᵒʳᵈˢ.

༉˚*ೃ 𝐂𝐎𝐌𝐌𝐎𝐍𝐋𝐘 𝐌𝐈𝐗𝐄𝐃-𝐔𝐏 𝐖𝐎𝐑𝐃𝐒.

it's super easy to get some common words mixed up due to them either sounding similar or having similar spelling. most of these are homophones, words that sound the same but have different meanings "bear" vs "bare" or otherwise similar. this is a list of all the commonly mixed-up words i could think of and find, and the proper ways to use them!

you can use this as a reference for formal writing too, like essays or reports (REMEMBER YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO USE CONTRACTIONS — LIKE DON'T, YOU'RE, WOULD'VE, ETC — IN ESSAYS!) because using "whom" in essays makes you sound super educated ngl.

YOUR VS YOU'RE.   →      *   .    &

a very simple one, but the most common one i see people (including native-english-speaking adults) getting wrong! "your" always refers to possession. "YOUR eyes are beautiful", because you own your eyes. "can i have some of YOUR lunch?" because you own your lunch.

"you're" is a contraction of "you are", and you only use it to replace that word. "YOU'RE smart", because "you are smart". "YOU"RE a fast runner", because "you are a fast runner".

so to combine them, "YOUR stomach's rumbling, that means YOU'RE hungry", is correct, because "your stomach (belongs to you) is rumbling, that means you are hungry".

saying "you're eyes are beautiful" is incorrect, because that means "you are eyes are beautiful" which makes no sense. "your smart" makes no sense, because you do not own smart (unless in a sentence like, your wits and smarts, which is in a different context and then is referring to smarts as a trait — property — of your own).