Old Friends (1)

"Care to explain this?" James growled, stomping up to meet you by the front doors--he held up a paper plate with an animatronic bear head printed on it.

"Oh." You grinned slyly.

"How the hell did you order them without me noticing?" he continued.

"I've got my ways," you snickered.

You glanced over, when your eyes caught something. You gasped, seeing as there was a stage with four animatronics standing on it.

"You got them?" you squealed, running up to take a closer look.

"Yeah. We've barely got any money left, but at least we've got actual entertainment" James sneered.

"What? You don't think the German, demon twins are enough entertainment? Or Candy Cadet?"

"What's not entertaining about robots that repeat the same things over and over?" he babbled sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

"Speaking of Candy Cadet, did he tell you the rest of the story?" You looked back to him, hope glimmering your eyes.

"Nope." He shook his head.

"Damn it," you hissed, looking down at the floor.

"The pizzeria will be opening soon. Do you want to stay out here while I work in the office, or do you think you can handle it?" James brought up.

"Oh."

The past few days, you've been hearing movement from the vents and voices. You had to have James finish yesterday's tasks, after running out in a near panic. You and James brushed it off as you just having sleep deprivation side effects, since you had only been getting a few hours of sleep a night. Now it was time to see if that was truly what was wrong.

"That's okay, if not," James assured you.

"No, I think . . . I think I can handle it," you muttered, scratching the back of your neck.

"Okay, but if at any time you need to, we can switch," he assured you.

"Right."

You nodded, walking towards the office door. You turned back to James, who had already started straightening things up. You sighed, walking into the small room and shutting the door, closing yourself in there.

You nervously sat down, starting your first tasks: ordering things. Although it didn't take as long as it used to--after buying the 'HI-SPD UPLINK'--it still felt like an eternity watching each thing load.

You switched over to the motion detector and started scanning for any movement. After a few seconds of not finding anything, you turned off the ventilation, seeing if your ears could aid in your search. What you were searching for, though, was unknown.

Nothing. You turned back on the ventilation as it started to get too warm, switching back over to your tasks to continue them.

Uneasiness started to settle in as you started printing things. Things hadn't been this quiet since the first day of opening. You couldn't help but think that something was going to happen, despite everything seeming to be fine.

"You're not tired any more. You've just been tired. That's why you had been hearing noises," you whispered, trying to calm yourself down.

Subtle shifting from the vent to your left caught your attention. You snapped your head and whipped your flashlight over to look down the dark tunnel. You couldn't see anything.

"This flashlight fucking sucks," you hissed, shaking it in anger.

The light flickered, dimming down. You whacked the side of it, making it shine a bit brighter, then dimmer out again. You growled, swinging it around. As it shined to your appeal, you heard sliding approach you.