Winter Wonderland

Winter break came up faster than she thought. Of course Sam had agreed to go on a skiing trip with Dana and her friends, even though he would need to start with ski school as he had never skied before. But he was looking forward to meet Dana's close friend. Also, he had stressed more than once that this was going to be their first vacation as a couple. All in all, he was nervous.

"Do you think, Maria will like me?" he had asked when they packed up Sam's old Ford Pickup to drive out to meet with Maria and William. "I am a Montana boy who does not know how to ski..."

That had made Dana laugh out loud. Why should that be relevant, she had asked. Of course Maria would like him, because he was very likable, she had teased him.

******

They checked in at the resort on a sunny, crisp, cold day. The snow was glittering, the slope was freshly prepared and Dana felt her feet tingle. The trip to the resort had been fun already. They had picked up Maria and William on their way towards Teton Pass and had spent several hours in the tight space of the car. "He is so cute!" Maria had whispered to Dana at one point - both girls were sitting in back while William was riding shotgun. Dana smiled at her friend, joint in an old Country Song playing on the radio and felt life could not get better.

The couples had booked two adjacent rooms, which were looking out on the slope. Dana was excited. She felt totally happy as she turned to Sam, who had laid down on the bed.

"This is going be so much fun", she beamed.

"You think?" Sam asked. He was smiling as well.

It was the middle of the day and since the four of them wanted to use as much time as possible on the slope, they got going right away. It was expensive enough. Dana and Sam unpacked, dressed warmly and went to meet William and Maria in the lobby.

"Why don't you go ahead", Dana suggested. "We still need to get our ski. Also, I need to take little Sam over to the ski school." She was laughing at her boyfriend.

"Very funny", he laughed back.

"All right", Maria agreed. "Do you think you are OK all by yourself", she worried. "You said yourself that you have not been skiing in ages."

"I will be fine. Otherwise, you will find me in a recliner for the rest of the vacation watching little Sam wiggling his pretty ass." All of them laughed.

"Come on", Dana said and went with Sam to collect gear.

******

She did feel a bit unsteady on her feet when she finally got her skis on and slid down the tiny hill that lead from the rental place to the lift station. "Big mouth that I am", she scolded herself. "Maybe I should have asked Maria to stay after all!" She lost her footing, slipped and almost crashed into a group of people who were also waiting at the lift station.

"Damn! Sorry!", she exclaimed and she heaved herself up with the aid of her sticks. Someone gabbed her elbow and pulled her up.

"Thanks", she said, adjusted her woolen hat that had slipped into her face and turned to face her aid. "I have not been on skis in..." The words froze in her mouth. She was looking into John's grey eyes.

His face was blank. "Are you OK?", he asked emotionless.

"Yes. Thank you, sir!" She felt herself blush. Sir? What the f***!? She cleared her throat, turned away and made her way slowly over to the spot where she expected Maria and William would emerge once they came down the slope.

She felt like she had to go back to the hotel, to the bar and drown some shots. What in the world was he doing here? Just when she though she had finally gotten over him! She had been fairly content with how her life was going right now. She cast a glance over to where Sam was sharing his ski-instructor with seven other adults who had never been on skis before. Maybe she should join them. She felt like being with Sam in the save enclosure of the ski school was a safe haven. All the sudden, she felt the dire need to leave. Since she could not get away totally, she undid her ski, walked down to the hotel, where she positioned her ski at the rack and went inside. She sat at the bar and ordered Gin Tonic.