Confessions

When Dana reached the table where her friends were waiting, she was still in shock.

"Are you better", Sam inquired lovingly. Dana could only nod, her mind felt like it had ceased working.

"Good", her boyfriend said, sounding only half convinced. "Can you keep any food in?" It was supposed to be a joke, but after the incident in the elevator Dana was not sure if she could.

"Not sure", she admitted. "Maybe something hearty like a Burger or so." She pulled the menu towards her.

"You know", Maria tried to distract Dana. "We have just seen a famous actor over there." She pointed towards the window. Dana looked over. There John was sitting across from a woman, whose back was turned to her. All she could see was long brown hair, slim shoulders and expensive clothes. John was holding her hand.

Dana looked away apruptly.

"Who is he?" she asked Maria.

"William said, he stars in some show they are shooting in Montana."

"Never seen him", Dana lied and pretended to choose something from the menu.

She had the hardest time not to look over where John was sitting. When her meal arrived she did not taste a bit of the burger, which looked and smelled delicious. John and his company were done almost at the same time as Dana and her friends. When he got up and led the pretty brunette out of the restaurant, various prying eyes where following them. They had to pass Dana's table in order to exit the room. When they were close to their table, John all the sudden looked at Dana and winked.

Dana yelped and looked down at her coffee cup. She could feel Sam starring at her. "What...", he said under his breath. Maria, who had not noticed what had happened, said: "All right. Let's call it a night and get a fresh start tomorrow.!

"Good idea." Dana almost jumped up. Sam followed her, frowning. They hugged, said their good night's and both couples went to their rooms.

"Is there something I should know?" Sam asked as they got undressed and ready for bed.

"No. Why?" Dana pretended not to know what he was talking about.

"Did you know that actor?"

"What makes you say that?" Dana took awfully long to get her bra off.

"It seemed to me like he winked at you", Sam pressed on.

"Really?" Dana said. She did not want to lie to him, he meant a lot to her after all. She slipped under the covers. "Come on, let's sleep", she patted the spot on the mattress next to her. Sam frowned, not satisfied with how the conversation had gone. He got in bed anyway, took Dana into his arms and kissed her forehead.

"Good night, honey!"

"Sleep well, Sam."

******

Dana and Maria were waiting in line early the next day. Sam had gone off to ski school and William had announced that he would try some more difficult terrain today. Obviously, the latter had been an agreement between William and his fiancé, so Maria could talk to her friend in private. This occurred to Dana once she was standing in line waiting for their lift to arrive.

"What is going on, Dana?" Maria said bluntly.

"Nothing", Dana said looking at the snow in front of her. It was pretty icy because a few people had stood here during the last few days waiting in line just as she did.

"Dana! Come on! I know you!" Maria sounded almost offended. "Yesterday, you decided to get drunk all of a sudden. And ever since we got here you have been scanning the people as if you are looking for somebody."