First Appointment

Hey! Don't forget that this is just the first appointment. I hit send as we pulled into the parking lot of the OBGYN. All those times I went with Chrys, I never thought we would be here for me.

My phone buzzed. Destiny usually answered super fast, but this was even faster than normal.

I have your back! You're good. Lmk what happens as soon as you're done.

"You ready?" Chrys asked.

"No," I said.

"Well I hate to break it to you, but we're kinda already here. It'll be fine."

"They're all going to think I'm a slut!" I said. "This is so humiliating."

"Poppy, why do you always worry about being embarrassed? Just calm down. It's ten in the morning. No one's here."

I nodded and got out of the car. A fresh, late-spring breeze blew through my hair that I just re-straightened. We walked up the steps and checked in. I hid away in a corner, watching the fish in the fishtank.

I spent the rest of the time scrolling through social media. Chase posted some photos on Instagram of himself down in NYC. Him and the rest of the cast only had a few more episodes to shoot before their summer break.

"Poppy?" a nurse said.

"Hey, do you want me to go with you?" Chrys asked.

"Please?"

"Okay. Let's go," she said.

I wanted to move, but it felt like my feet were stuck to the floor. Chrys pulled me up by the arm. The nurse gave me a sweet smile and led me into an examination room, where I was getting pelted with a million questions. Chrys was trying to answer some for me. I was on the brink of another panic attack.

After all the questions I was examined and had a bunch of tests done. The nurse left once everything was all done. I was laying back on this table with nothing on under my robe, my feet in stirrups, and my hoo-ha on display.

"She's done," Chrys said, giggling. "You can put your legs down for now."

I breathed a sigh of relief and let my legs dangle. After nearly twenty minutes of scrolling through Chase's Instagram, there was another knock on the door.

A lady in a lab coat walked in. It was the same doctor from all of Chrys's appointments.

"Well hello there! How are you doing, Miss Poppy?" she asked.

"Uh...good." Fifteen and probably pregnant. Doing great, lady.

"So as you probably know, I'm Doctor Andrews. I'll be working with you through this...process."

"Process?" Chrys asked.

"Absolutely! Your test was positive. Congratulations!"

Chrys covered her mouth with her hands, then ran her curly hair through her fingers.

"Positive, are you sure? It can't be!" she said.

"Oh, it definitely is," said Doctor Andrews. "No doubt about it, that's for sure! How about I take a look at you, Poppy?"

All I could do was nod. None of this came as a surprise to me, especially after all those positive at-home tests. I couldn't look over at Chrys. I just couldn't. I stared up at the ceiling as Doctor Andrews examined me, then turned out the lights in the room.

"Are you ready to see your baby?" she asked.

"Um...okay," I said. I was expecting all this, but none of it felt real.

Doctor Andrews stood over me with some kind of medical instrument I'd never seen before.

"You'll feel a slight pressure. Just relax," she said. I held my breath as she put whatever the heck that thing was inside of me. She turned the monitor to face me. "And look at that! I'd say your right around four weeks along. I'm going to say January twentieth is your due date."

She flipped a switch and the sound of a heartbeat filled the room. I got teary-eyed at first, but realized something wasn't right. It didn't sound like a normal heartbeat.

"Can you see what I'm seeing? Look right here," Doctor Andrews said, circling the screen with the cursor.

"Why does it look like two little dots?" I asked. Chrys gasped.

"These two dots are sharing the same sac," Doctor Andrews said. "You're having identical twins, Poppy! Congratulations!"