A Little Bit of Power

I took the rest of the week off to give myself time to pick up the pieces of what happened. As each day went on, it got a little easier.

I even found a hotline I could call over the weekend so I could talk to a grief counselor. It helped a little, but I knew it would take a lot of time before I was back to myself.

Destiny was beside herself when I told her what happened between Jace and I. Don't rush to conclusions—I didn't tell her the reason why I got all that cash and the other goodies.

All she needed to know was that Jace was turning over a new leaf. And when I told her that story, thankfully she bought it.

"I still can't believe you made out with all that cash," Destiny said, clutching her new library book to her chest as we walked to my locker before homeroom. "How did your fam take it?"

"Uh...they were pretty shocked. Chrys more than my mom," I said, trying to get a peek at that new book. I reached over and attempted to pull it so I could see the cover, then gasped. "That's a new one!"

"I haven't started it yet," Destiny said, keeping her eyes forward.

"What's the name of the badboy antagonist?"

"Damien Thrasher," she blurted out, then quickly changed the subject. "So...what's your mom gonna do?"

"My mom doesn't have their number, so she's sending a card and a gift basket. She's already looking at houses."

"She better not be moving you out of this district! Otherwise, we're gonna have a serious problem."

I chuckled. "Calm down. She promised she'd only look at places that are local. I seriously can't wait to finally have a bigger house. I'll even get my own room so we can have sleepovers!"

Destiny said something back, but I didn't hear any of it. I was paying too much attention to the Terrible Trio. Vicky, Veronica, and Olsanna were taking selfies over in the corner.

"Oh shit. We should probably go the other way," Destiny said, protectively jumping in front of me. "I don't want you to lose anything else."

"Chill," I said, stepping aside. "Remember, the ER doctor said it was just a coincidence. It's super common. But watch this."

I started walking over to the group of girls. This is gonna be so awesome. Destiny was hot on my tail.

"Poppy, what the hell are you doing? Are you nuts!" she yelled, still chasing me down.

"Hey ladies!" I said. Olsanna saw me, but turned around. I inserted myself right into their circle. Destiny let out the most dramatic gasp I'd ever heard. "I said, hey ladies. How's it going?"

The girls looked at each other like lost puppies. They literally didn't know what to do. Jace must've given them something serious. He really wanted this secret kept, didn't he?

"Girl, get out of there! You're gonna get yourself killed!" Destiny said as she frantically tugged at my backpack.

I swatted her hand away, keeping my focus on the Terrible Trio. They were all trying to slowly back away, but this was too good. I kept on them.

"Oh what, nothing to say to Googly-Eye-Poppy? You guys always have something to say! Not even you, Olsanna?" She shook her head. I'd never seen her bite her tongue before. I held my eyelid up and went right into her face. "Nothing? Not even about my eye? Doesn't it look extra googly today?"

She huffed and left with the girls. Not one word. It was the best I'd felt since before the incident last week.

I think I officially have super powers.

Destiny was by my side in less than a second.

"Okay, what in the world just happened? How did you do that?" she asked, clearly beside herself.

"Jace said if I promised to keep things civil between our families, he'd also throw in some protection from the trio."

"He's banging her, isn't he?"

"Yup."

"I'm not surprised. At least he cares a little bit about his future niece or nephew."

"Niece," I said, heading back towards my locker. "But when it comes to Jace, I think we'll just have to see how things go."

I went through my day as usual. Destiny was also pretty great at keeping secrets, so news of my pregnancy didn't spread through the whole school yet. I was hoping I could do what Chrys did and not have anyone notice until the fall.

Classes were a breeze since I got my homework emailed to me and I was caught up. But everything about school felt different.

Before, I was walking on eggshells. I watched every turn for the Terrible Trio, and now they weren't a worry anymore.

Destiny and I were eating lunch, talking about vampire stuff when I noticed Jace out the cafeteria window, smoking a cigarette with Olsanna.

"Hey, earth to Poppy!" Destiny snapped her fingers.

"What?"

"Why are you staring at Jace Hetcher?" she asked.

"Because I'm thinking about using my super powers on him."

She leaned in a little closer. "I doubt it'll work, but I'm listening."

"I bet I can get him to buy me an ice cream, or at least get the money for it."

"Nu-uh."

"Watch me."

I got up and strolled right out the cafeteria side door, and right up to Jace and Olsanna. I kept my distance though. There's no way any second-hand smoke could be safe for the one peanut I had left.

Jace saw me waiting, and told Olsanna to step aside. She went under the nearby oak tree, sat down, and took out her phone. Nobody else was in earshot of our conversation.

"What do you want?" Jace asked.

"An ice cream sandwich from the vending machine."

"Great. Go by one and beat it. I'm busy," he said, blowing out a stream of smoke.

"I don't think we're on the same page. I want you to buy me an ice cream sandwich."

"I gave you enough cash."

"It's all at home."

"Get lost."

"Not without some ice cream money."

He reached into the pocket of his leather jacket and handed me three dollars.

"Damn, and I thought your sister was a pain in the ass," he said under his breath.

I cupped my hand behind my ear. "I'm sorry, what was that you said about my sister?"

"Nothing. Just go."

"Don't talk about Chrys like that. Ever. Or I'll tell Chase everything."

"Okay, I...I'm...sorry," Jace said, putting his hands up.

"That's what I thought."

I went back inside and literally skipped to the ice cream machine, then got one of my favorite ice cream sandwiches: the one that has the two soft cookies and vanilla ice cream. Heaven in a plastic wrapper.

I sat back down and started eating. Destiny was quiet for a while, just sitting there watching me.

"I didn't think superpowers were real, but after what I saw, damn. Just damn, girlfriend," she said.

"I know," I said, taking another bite. "This is gonna be fun."