A Smoking Hot Mess

I rubbed my eyes, shook my head, and pinched myself. But none of those things worked. Olsanna and Jace were still there. How can they still be there? This has to be some kind of crazy dream.

"Stacey, thank you very much for all the photos, but I think we're all done with our session," Chase said to our photographer.

"Oh, are you sure?" she asked.

"Definitely," I said, my voice firm.

"Okie-dokie. Good luck with everything," she said before getting back on the elevator.

"Give us a few minutes," Jace said to their photographer.

He nodded and got right on the elevator next to Stacey. The four of us were in a stare-down until the doors closed.

"Jace, you can't be serious," Chase said.

"I'm as serious as ever, little bro," he said.

"I'm only younger than you by three minutes," Chase said, pointing his finger.

"I don't believe them, Chase. I think they're faking it to get a rise out of you. This is just another one of Jace's dirty tricks!" I said. "And we're not buying it this time!"

"Maybe you should look a little closer with that messed-up eye of yours," Olsanna said. Her dress had a slit going down the front. She opened part of it so her belly was sticking out. "Twelve weeks."

"Huh. Well you....you're...pretty big and chunky for only being twelve weeks along!" I said, standing up a little taller. "Boom, gotcha!"

An evil smirk came across her face. "Hello, Jace is a Hetcher. I'm having twins, silly."

"Another lie! Your sign says 'baby' not 'babies'!" I said.

"Pregnancy announcement first, twins announcement later. Better for publicity, not like you would know," Olsanna said.

"Well little bro, how does it feel to finally lose?" Jace asked. Chase didn't answer. "My hot model girlfriend is having two perfect twins, and you're stuck with a poor chick having one messed up baby! Oh, and did I mention that Mom loves Olsanna? You'll never get her to approve of someone like your girl."

"It's not about winning or losing, Jace," Chase said.

"What are you talking about? It's been that way from day one! You always got better parts and more praise from agents. I couldn't get anything. Mom and Dad always loved you more. Girls always loved you more. People everywhere know your name, but they don't even know I exist!

"But now...now I'm fathering twins of a famous model. I have my foot in the door again. I'll have fame and riches and adoring fans that you could only dream of! Mom and Dad will finally see that I'm the favorite twin!"

"Chase, how are you guys related? Like, seriously, this guy is nuts," I said, completely ignoring Jace.

Chase didn't answer. The courtyard had an eerie silence to it.

"What's a matter? Nothing to say, Chase?" A grin came across his brother's face. "Or should I say...big loser?"

Chase took my hand. "Gumdrop, let's go. I'll take you to brunch somewhere else. We have no reason to waste our time with something like this."

We turned around and started walking towards the elevator.

"You can run away all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that this is real!" Jace said.

"Just ignore it," Chase said under his breath to me.

"They're just jealous because they know how pretty our kids are going to be compared to theirs," Olsanna said. "It'll be even worse because it has Down Syndrome. Talk about one ugly baby she's got in there!"

I held onto my bump and let the tears run down my cheeks. I wanted to throw Olsanna right over that railing, but I bit my tongue. I thought that was what Chase wanted, but he suddenly had a change of heart.

"That's enough out of you!" Chase said, storming right back over to the balcony. "You can insult me all day long, but nobody makes fun of my daughter!"

"What are you going to do, loser boy?" Olsanna said, getting in his face. Since she was so tall, she towered over both him and Jace.

"You're pregnant, so I'm not going to do anything to you." He looked over at Jace. "You on the other hand—"

Jace raised his fists like a boxer. "Let's do this, little bro. I can't wait to kick your ass again!"

"I'm not fighting you either, Jace."

"Oh look at this one, Olsanna. He's scared!" Jace said.

"Believe me, it's not that. I'm an actor with a personal trainer and a gym routine. The only lifting you do is when you're throwing around the cheap girls you're probably cheating on your baby momma with in your bedroom."

"Nice burn, Chase!" I said from a distance.

"Thanks gumdrop!" he said, giving me a thumbs up before turning back to face his evil twin. "Jace, I'm not fighting you because even though she's still in the womb, my little girl is right over there. She can hear everything in there, and whether she knows what it is, or whether she remembers it or not, she's not going to hear her daddy fighting her uncle."

They were all quiet for a while. Olsanna looked down and held her tiny bump. It was like she lost her evil composure for a second. Jace lowered his fists.

"My family and I are going now. Jace, I hope you take better care of these twins than you do of Blaze and Oliver," Chase said.

He came back over to me and pressed the elevator button. Seconds later there was a ding and the doors opened. Chase stayed facing the wall of the elevator, but I faced the front. I got a quick glance at Jace, who was looking down at his feet.

As the doors closed, Olsanna looked at me, but not in her usual I'm-going-to-pick-on-you-today way. There was something different about her face. It was almost like she wanted to tell me something...like she needed help.

The doors closed all the way and we rode down to the lobby. Chase smiled and walked me outside, acting like none of what we saw on that balcony ever even happened.