A Big World

I adjusted the straps of my backpack as we walked into the train station. I felt kind of uneasy, because Everything about this was new to me.

"You sure the bag isn't too heavy? You don't want me to hold it while you wait?" Mom asked as we looked up at the monitor.

"Yeah it's fine. I've got it," I said.

I tried to take in everything at the train station. I'd never even been on a train before. Mom used to tell us about the day when she had enough money. How we'd get on the train and take a big ride down to the city.

To be honest, it kind of crushed me that this day was here for me, but not for her and Chrys. Then again, this was a romantic weekend for Chase and I. It made sense that my mom and sister weren't invited.

"Okay, looks like you can get in line to board. Be safe out there. I'll miss you," Mom said. "Look at you, my little baby girl going on a train all by herself!"

"Mom stop. You're embarrassing me," I whispered.

She chuckled to herself. "Typical angsty teenager! Remember to text me when you get there. I can't wait to see all the pictures when you get back."

I gave her a hug and a kiss goodbye, and that was it. Me and my little girl were already going on our first big adventure together. I waited as patiently as I could, even though at this point in my pregnancy my feet were starting to bug me.

The line finally moved. I walked with everyone across an elevated glass bridge, where I could see the train waiting down below. I rode down the escalator with everyone else and got down to the platform.

I had the screen open on my phone so the staff could scan my ticket. They wanted everyone to form two lines: those who were going directly to New York, and those who were getting off somewhere beforehand. I got in the line for New York.

I watched in front of me as the staff lady scanned everyone's phones and directed them towards the back of the train. I held my phone out and she scanned it. I started walking right past her, but she held out her arm in front of me and I was about to have a heart attack.

"What's going on? Why can't I go?" I said, trying to control my panicked breathing.

"Oh, you can go, ma'am, just not that way. You're in business class. That's at the other end of the train." She pointed past my shoulder and I turned around. "You see that man standing by that car up there? That's where you'll be going. Enjoy your trip."

I smiled and turned around. Chase always had to outdo himself. I walked all the way down to the front of the train.

"Welcome. Good morning," said the guy standing outside the business class car. He motioned with his arms for me to go inside.

"Thanks," I said, stepping into the car.

Business class was full of blue and white leather seats that had lots of legroom. The car was full of guys in expensive suits, each with a briefcase on their lap. I found a row with no one in it and sat by the window.

I took out my tumbler of decaf coffee and the blueberry muffin mom wrapped up for me and started eating. It reminded me of when we smuggled snacks into the movies because "it was so much cheaper."

I told Destiny I'd text her, but once we started moving, I was too occupied with everything I was seeing. We'd barely ever even left town, so now I was seeing all these things I'd never seen before.

We whizzed by trees right as the sun was coming up, passed old factories, and houses in the middle of nowhere. There were lakes, and there were rivers where I saw the big piles of sticks that were beaver dams. I even saw a few beavers swimming here or there.

The best part was when we were over some body of water, I had no idea what—but we passed this small island with the ruins of an old stone castle. I didn't even know there were castles in the US, let alone the NYC area. But right after we passed the castle, the land under the train disappeared. It looked like we were literally just hovering on the water.

My little lady must've enjoyed the rocking and other motions of the train, because she slept basically the whole time. Sometimes it was great to have a break from all the kicks and rolling. Every day she was getting stronger.

I spent three hours glued to the window before all the big buildings came into sight. Then it was a long, stop and go journey through a dark tunnel. The lights finally came on and the doors opened. When all the business guys got up, I figured it meant that we were actually here, so I got up too and sent a quick text to Chase.

Hey, I'm here. Where are you?

Right upstairs, beautiful.

I sent a quick text to Mom so she wouldn't worry, and then followed everyone up the crowded, gum-covered steps. The crowd dissipated when I got to the top, but people were still everywhere. I looked around and saw Chase near the bathroom, dressed in his usual disguise of a brunette wig, baseball cap, and sunglasses. He was holding a bouquet of green, pink, and purple mixed flowers.

He perked up when he saw me, then ran over. He kissed me, then my belly.

"How are my two perfect ladies doing?" he asked.

"Hot and hungry," I said.

"For you," he said, handing me the flowers.

"Nice trick," I said, pointing to the flower vendor a few feet away who had a cart full of the exact same bouquets.

"Hey, cut me some slack. I was busy getting our picnic ready all morning," he said.

I gave him a kiss on the cheek. "They're perfect."

"Shall we?" he asked, motioning towards the exit.

He took my backpack off and put it on his shoulders. We held hands and walked up the stairs to the exit. I'd seen it in a lot of movies, but when I was actually in it, I just felt so...small compared to all those big buildings. It was such a big world out there, and now I got to explore it with the one that I loved.