A Ticking Time Bomb

An SUV named Smushy. Two crying infants. One stressed out mom who was trying to quiet them. A grandmother at the wheel, and a pregnant teen sitting alone in the third row of seats.

This was everyone going to the Hetcher mansion for a big family dinner, just like I promised Chase.

I opened my purse and looked at my twelve-week ultrasound picture. I'd be fourteen weeks along in two days. In the photo, I could see our little cutie pie's arms, legs, and head. As the product of both myself and Chase, they were bound to be adorable.

The car pulled to a stop and Mom rolled down the window, then pressed the button on the gate.

"Hello?" asked the voice from the speaker.

"Hi there. Everston family, party of six, here for dinner," Mom said.

I smiled and rubbed my growing bump, then stretched out my dress. My clothes were getting tight, so Destiny and I planned a maternity-outfit-shopping-trip for the coming week.

"Thanks for including my baby," I said as we pulled in.

"Well they're a member of this family, aren't they? Just because they're not here yet doesn't mean they don't count," Mom said.

We parked the car across from the big fountain in the middle of the circular driveway, then got out of the car. Chrys carried Ollie and Mom took Blaze.

Her and Chrys were always watching what I was carrying, since I wasn't supposed to be lifting more than fifteen pounds. They were always looking out for me.

A big gust of wind kicked up and blew all of our skirts. The three of us dressed up, since it felt like Mr. and Mrs. Hetcher looked down on Mom last year, since she was dirty from work.

Chrys even went out and got special outfits for the boys. They both had matching onesies that had a tuxedo pattern on them.

I snapped a few pictures before I left and my social media accounts were blowing up with likes.

We rang the doorbell and stood there in silence. We all had theories about how the night would go. We all wanted to keep our cool and just pig out on good food, but when it came to this group of people, both us and them, we weren't sure that could even happen.

Henry, the butler, opened the door and said, "Welcome, Everston's! Please come in."

"Thanks, Henry!" Chrys said.

We took off our shoes, and Chase was there in a matter of seconds.

"Hey, thank you guys so much for coming!" he said.

He gave hugs to Mom and Chrys because he was so polite and adorable, then gave me a kiss before freaking out about how cute the boys looked. Blaze was kicking and smiling, so Chase took him. Ollie was asleep in his car seat.

"You guys can come with me. The chef is just wrapping up, so food will be on the table in just a few minutes," Chase said.

We walked through the hallways lined with fine art and Chase's awards that were dated all the way back to when he was little.

I could already smell the aroma of chicken from the kitchen. I'd been thinking about that chicken Florentine every day since we had it last year.

"Look who's here!" Chase said as we entered the dining room.

His parents were at the table with Jace. Katherine Hetcher was holding her usual glass of expensive red wine. Tim Hetcher was looking down at his phone.

Jace stood up when we came in. He said hello to Chrys, then shook my mom's hand and offered to get Ollie set up in a high chair.

Good. I learned over the past few weeks that he could follow directions extremely well.

"Oh, wow, okay. Sure, here you go," Mom said, handing him over.

Chrys sat down and watched proudly as Jace took Ollie out of his carrier and placed him in a high chair. She'd been so happy about how much Jace was stepping up, and I was going to make sure it sayed with way for as long as I could.

I looked over at Katherine, whose death glare kind of softened up and turned into a half-smirk. Tim gave us a smile and a wave. He wasn't even that bad when he wasn't under Katherine's heel. She made him her puppet.

"Welcome!" Tim said.

"Yes, have a seat," Katherine said.

I sat down next to Chase after he got Blaze situated in the high chair next to Ollie. Jace was right across from us, staring daggers at me, but I could care less.

I took a sip out of the fancy glass of water in front of me. The glass looked like it was made out of solid crystal.

The smell was still coming from the kitchen. I watched the door and waited for it to open, then took my phone out of my purse and hid it under the table. I selected Jace from the list of contacts and started typing out a text.

Nice work. Remember to feed them, too. You bought the food I told you to buy?

He looked down at his phone and typed something back. My screen lit up with the new text.

Yeah. It's in the kitchen.

I smiled and leaned back in my seat. The thrill of having so much power over someone I hated so much never died down.

"So, how have you two been?" Mom asked, breaking the silence.

"Just...swell," Katherine said, taking another sip of wine. "As good as one can be, when I'm getting my other son getting dragged into your family's teen pregnancy scandal."

Oh damn. I thought we'd ease into this, but I guess we're getting into it right off the bat. The food's not even on the table yet!

Mom, Chrys, and I all looked at each other, trying to figure out what to say next. As soon as we walked into the dining room, it felt like this place was a ticking time bomb, and it was seconds away from blowing up.

-Just a reminder there will be TWO uploads next week! Thanks again for all your support! We hit 7k reads this week and I'm not even halfway done writing this story!