The First Jumper 39: Others

The next morning, they began to practice with spears.  It was immediately apparent that they needed the practice.  Little Bear and Tiger were still proficient, but all the rest had gotten very rusty, in the cave.

Three days later, they were getting quite accurate, with nearly every cast being less than the width of a man’s chest from the initial cast.

They were also seeing game on the plains, more and more frequently.  They also saw predators, but much more rarely.  They generally had meat to eat almost every night, now, and it was fresh kill, not carrion.

On the afternoon of their tenth day on the plain, they were in a sea of waist-high grass, when Little Bear motioned to Tiger that he sensed something ahead.  

Tiger called for everyone to get down.  The whole tribe went from running to crouching in an instant.  As they caught their breath, Tiger came up to Little Bear.

“A tribe, I think,” he said.  He pointed to the southwest.  “That way.”  After a moment, he said, “Small, I think, but it’s muddled.”

“What’s muddled?”

“The rabbit magic.  Sometimes it’s clearer than others.”  Little did not know why he was sure he did not want Tiger knowing Gerleesh was inside him, but he was nevertheless sure.  Let him think the rabbit brought Little Bear special powers.

“Look!”  Tiger’s sharp eyes had spotted motion, in the direction Little Bear had indicated.  Focusing, they could make out a band of figures, running after an antelope.

“I make five or six,” Tiger said after a moment.

“Yeah,” said Little Bear.  “I count six, and that feels right.  Let’s watch.  Do you think they’ve wounded it?”

Tiger motioned for the tribe to relax but keep a watch, and he and Little Bear ran at a crouch to get to a small cluster of rocks a hundred yards away.  Lying on the side of it, they watched the distant scenario unfold.  

“Must have already hit it,” said Tiger, “Or they wouldn’t be chasing it.”

Sure enough, the hunters closed in on the antelope as it faltered.  When the antelope fell, the hunters gathered around it.  

Little Bear heard a sound behind him, and saw that the tribe had moved close to the rocks, and were keeping low, but looking around for firewood, of which there appeared to be plenty, in and around the rocks.  Fox was setting a fire up behind them, but he wasn’t starting it yet.  The fire pot still smoked a little, as he refreshed it.

Little Bear and Tiger turned back to watch the other tribe.  

After a time in which they had presumably field dressed the antelope, they headed back to the southeast, which brought them uncomfortably close to the Long Spear tribe.  They were moving at a walk, and even though the light was fading, they could be seen to be carrying something heavy, which they switched off at regular intervals.

As night fell, the hunters went into a boulder cluster much like the one Little Bear and Tiger were in, but not more than a mile away.

“Much too close,” said Little Bear.

“I agree,” said Tiger, “But did you see how small that tribe is?  I think we can take them.”

Before Little Bear could say anything more, Tiger was signaling the tribe to prepare to make camp, and for the warriors to prepare for battle.

Little Bear showed Fox where to put the fire, so it was blocked from view from the other rocks, and told him to make it as small as possible, so it didn’t cast light to the sides, either.  Fox wasn’t sure how to do that, but with his brother and mother helping, they got it set up.