The First Jumper 48: The End of Life

Little Bear was surprised at how quickly the pain reduced.  As long as he didn't try to move, he found himself bathed in a haze of comfort, even in the midst of excruciating pain.

He knew he was dying, but his own body was protecting him from the worst of the pain, even without his help.  He could not dislodge the spear, and no longer tried.

A sobbing Orchid was trying to lay on his chest, but she was pulled aside by Otter, whose face was as wet.  Pomegranate, Blueberry, and Aspen also surrounded him, and he could see others behind them--Gopher, Ahashnak, Ash, and Thunder.  His children were setting up a wail around the edges, but others were keeping them back.

"You are always the one with the answers," Blueberry laughed through her tears.  "I wish you could tell us what to do, now."

"Go south."  It was very hard and very painful, but he could still speak.  "Go south, as far and as fast as you can.  There is nothing more I can do for you."

"Yes, there is!" said Otter.  "And you know what it is, father."

Little Bear looked up at his son, whom he loved more than life.  "No, my son.  I cannot do that to you."

"Yes, you can," said Otter.  "It is my choice.  You know I understand, you know it is the only way to keep your promise to Willow, and you know it is what I want."  He took another breath, and continued.  “Your people need you.  You have to come with us.”

Little Bear looked at him for a long time, then looked over at Pomegranate and Blueberry.

"I need to be alone with Otter, now.  When I am gone, you will need to watch over Otter, for as long as it takes."

"As long as what takes?" said Blueberry.

"You'll remember," said Little Bear.  "He'll be sick, like I was a long time ago, but he'll get better."  He closed his eyes again, then said, "Now, everyone but Otter needs to step back."

It took a minute, but eventually, they all pulled away from him except Otter.  Orchid was held in Gopher's arms, still sobbing uncontrollably, but none of them had dry faces.

"I'm here, father," said Otter, kneeling over him.  "What do you need me to do?"

But Little Bear’s mind was already in motion, reaching out to his son as he had once longed to reach out to his egg, pouring himself into Otter.

Those watching saw Otter kneeling over his father for several minutes, before he collapsed onto him, then rolled over onto his back.  When Otter fell, they rushed in.

Otter’s eyes were nearly closed, with nothing but whites showing under them.  When they placed their hands on his chest, they could hear his heart beating, but very slowly.  They could not wake him.

Little Bear, however, was gone.

[end of chapter -- did you vote?]