FADE

When the highs are high but the lows are low

4 months passed by with Taehyung's void slowly fading away from Haneul's life. Life was all good for her unless she heard the news during work.

Haneul got a call during work from an unknown landline number. She picked up the call to hear that her mother was in a hospital. She ran down a couple blocks to get to her mother. Her mother was the only person that she had. She could never imagine her life without her.

Snapping out of her anxious thoughts, she entered the hospital. Her mother was alive but she was in a miserable state. She had fractured multiple bones from a car accident and she had to be hospitalised for a few months.

"I'm fine."

Haneul's mother protested.

"You're not fine. And you'll stay hospitalised for however long you take to heal."

Haneul sternly said.

"What about you then?"

"I'll be fine. I'll work longer hours."

"I will call Mrs. Jeon to take care of you."

"You know how bad I feel about burdening Soojin everyday. I do not want to burden the Jeons. Trust me I can handle myself."

"But"-

"No, I will seek help when I need. I promise you. And that's the end of discussion."

Haneul cut her mother off and left the hospital. She did not want her mother to stress like this.

Haneul told Soojin everything and she said, "I need another part time job."

"I guess I know a place. It's another cafe on the same street."

"I need it now. Let's go there after school."

After school, Haneul went to another interview. She got the job. The timing left her with no break.

She changed in school to get to her new job. The cafe was popular. The staff was robotic. Everything was monotonous. She hated it there. She was hating everything about that place. Knowing her clumsy self, she spilled iced tea on the floor. There was no glass broken and nobody was harmed.

Yet her boss decided to scold her in front of everybody.

Haneul was humiliated by the whole fiasco but she could not say anything. She did not want to lose her job.

She said nothing as her shift was over.

She was upset about it but she was touched soon. She saw Haesoo and Soojin in the empty café.

"Hey, I heard you did not eat today."

Haesoo said bringing a plate of sandwich.

"So eat now."

"Thank you."

Haneul said as she was extremely hungry. She skipped breakfast and lunch. She ate sandwiches within such less amount of time that Haesoo and Soojin were surprised.

"Do you want more?"

Haesoo asked raising her eyebrows.

"Nope. I'm well. Thank you."

Haneul said. She was thankful for having Haesoo and Soojin in her life. They were the most understanding people in Haneul's life.

She finished her work at the cafe. As she walked to the bus station, she met Jungkook.

Jungkook smiled softly at his friend who was kind of getting distant from him. He hated that feeling. He hated that she was dating Min Yoongi. He hated all of the things that separated him from Haneul.

And Jungkook did not know why he felt a hint of euphoria when he saw her. She was just confused on what he was doing at that moment.

"Hey,Kook. What are you doing here?"

Haneul asked with confusion visible in her face.

"Oh hey. I bought you rice and shrimp curry. Make sure to microwave it when you get home."

"I told my mom not to tell Mrs. Jeon to take care of me."

"Hey. I cooked for you."

"Why will you do it when you know that I don't like to burden anyone?"

"You're not burdening me. I care for you and that's why I'm doing this."

"Thank you for caring. But don't make it an everyday thing."

"That's up to me. If I feel like it, I'll cook everything to show off how awesome my food taste."

Haneul was defeated by Jungkook. She went home to see nobody. Her mother was usually in the kitchen. There was always a loud noise in that kitchen but it was silent. Lights were usually on but the lights were off to show a pitch black room.

Haneul microwaved the food and the smell was so good. She smiled as she took a bite. She did not really want to burden anyone but life was making her dependent on everyone.

She regretted seeking out Soojin's help. She caused Soojin's dad a lot of trouble of cleaning and cooking for one extra person. Her plan of doing everything at the cafe never worked out.

She video called her mother as she could not visit her at all. She could feel that something was off.

"Mom, what happened?"

"Nothing happened."

"Then why do you look so worried?"

"It's nothing."

"Please tell me."

"I have insurance for my hospital bills but I need to buy my medicines. I haven't gotten my salary yet."

Haneul immediately thought of her savings.

"I have my savings. Maybe it would help you."

"Since when do you have your savings?"

"Y-you always give me extra money for transportation and lunch."

"Forget it. That'll help you later."

"Mom, it's my money which YOU gave me and I want you to use it."

"You should use it for your own good."

"I got two jobs that would help me out with everything. The bills would be less as one person is living here."

"I don't want your money."

"Pay me back later."

Haneul was telling a white lie. That savings were actually because of Taehyung. She did not have pay for the way back so she saved it. The memories of Taehyung came back upsetting her a little bit.

Meanwhile Taehyung was miserable. He slept a lot. He barely got out of his room.

Namjoon waited for Taehyung outside the room again. He was worried about his best friend. He still did not hear from Haneul or him in those four months. As he was about to knock Taehyung's room for the third time, he saw two men appearing right beside him. They looked really worried as Jin knocked the door and said, "Tae, we need to talk."