Chapter 20

Today marked Diya's third week of training at the Military Academy. Despite spending her days with Ameera, she felt less inclined to pull her hair out because it turned out Ameera was generally a nice person. Diya had to admit she was more than just nice. Ameera, who she found out over their conversations was a year older than her, was a kind and honest person who passionately enjoyed her teaching career despite having to come in every day to a chaotic bunch of boys. No matter what mischief they got up to, Ameera always kept a patient and calm poise, which was completely the opposite to some other teachers who threw a ballistic fit and punished harshly. She had an aura of gold and spoke with such eloquence and clarity, especially during her classes, which made her extremely favourable with her students. Her pretty features were an added bonus.

Ameera was loved by everyone, teachers and students alike. She was a respectable teacher, someone Diya wished to become, once her training was over.

Today, like all days, was as loud as ever. Even from their staff room, she could hear their loud voices from the courtyard. Diya couldn't believe how Ameera had managed to stay at the academy for a year, especially with her soft nature, when all the students ever did was talk at the top of their lungs and host wrestling matches every break time.

"How do your ears manage with all the noise?" Diya asked again for the fifth time.

"Trust me, you will get used to it," Ameera laughed, handing a piece of fresh steaming bread to her.

"I hope," Diya smiled, saying dua's in her head for her patience.

"I'm really glad you're here," Ameera said as they took their seats on the Majlis cushions.

"Hm?" Diya hummed, taking a sip of her juice.

"It's nice to have someone my age at the academy. We haven't had young trainees in months because of-you know," Ameera sighed. "But once you get to know the students, it does get easier. A lot of the boys I've taught love studying here because they have the chance to learn self-defence and martial arts alongside their studies. Besides, boys will be boys,"

"You're right I guess, being loud and active is just how boys are," Diya smiled, remembering the few students who never fail to boast about their martial arts achievements since the very day she started. "They have pure hearts, especially Walid and Yunus. Those ten summer-old boys could make anyone laugh no matter what the situation,"

"I think they are both fond of you," Ameera laughed, dipping her bread in sauce. "Not many would appreciate their cheeky attitudes, especially not Ustad Laith,"

Diya smirked. "He still hasn't acknowledged my existence, no matter how many times I've walked past him,"

"Ustad is like that with everyone, you needn't worry too much. Unless he has no option but to communicate with you, he won't," Ustada Yusra admitted, taking a seat beside the girls. "I take it you have settled in, Ustada Diya?"

"Yes, Alhamdulillah. I'm glad to finally have some work experience with children after all the training and tests I had to go through," Diya replied, memories of her studying for long nights just to pass the teaching exam.

"We should finish up, the students will back from lunch," Ameera said, popping the last grape in her mouth. Diya sipped up the rest of her water and stood up, both of them giving quick goodbyes before washing up and heading out of the staff quarters.

"Diya," Ameera called, breaking the silence first.

"Yes?" she replied, her eyes dragging away from the courtyard where students were lining up for the second half of classes for the day.

"Even though we have only known each other for a short period of time, I feel as though we have been friends for years," Ameera commented, her words shocking Diya a little.