Chapter 21

"Look who's here!"

Diya turned to where her cousin Zahra motioned, her eyes drifting to the side of the street where she saw her aunt and uncle, Kawthar, Adam and of course Khalid walking towards them. Her gaze lingered for a little longer before they fell on the female figure concealed behind them.

As per their traditions, the whole neighbourhood celebrated Eid together out on the streets, fabric and carpet strewn over the dusty roads, topped off with majlis cushions to create an outdoor social atmosphere. Families intermingled over piled plates and trays of scrumptious food under candle-lit lanterns that strung above them, their flames imitating the glow of the stars above them.

This year, Diya and her family from both her mother and father's side had joined the celebrations at her eldest aunt's street. As always, the street was bustling with laughter and chatter whilst a delectable aroma of saffron rice and grilled meat danced along the entire length of the neighbourhood. Diya loved the warm atmosphere of Eid, especially because she was surrounded by her excited cousins who were now waving at Kawthar, not yet having noticed the extra guest that had joined them. Though she still felt a hint of sadness with the absence of her sister. If only Haifa was here to give her the strength, especially with the arrival of the surprise guest.

She frowned.

Just when Diya thought she could forget about Ameera's request, low and behold, she was here. Since that day, her cousin had been coming to the Academy frequently to mentor the students. Of course, Ameera couldn't have been happier, for it only gave her more chances to speak with him. However, it was the complete opposite for her. The more she saw him, the greater her heart would pound in her chest, to the point where she was almost convinced she was sick. Not only was her heart racing, but every time she saw him smile at Ameera, a sharp pain would befall her. And despite feeling all of this, she still ignored her feelings. She promised to help Ameera and that was that. There was no going back.

"Wait-isn't that-"

As Kawthar waved back at them, the shy figure appeared behind her, gazing around shyly until their eyes met.

"Ameera," Diya muttered to herself, but her cousins must have heard because they all turned to her.

"She is the girl from Kawthar's wedding, right?" Layla enquired, earning a nod from Diya.

"She is also my mentor,"

"No way,"

Her cousins looked flabbergasted. Today would have been the perfect day for Diya to explain if only Ameera had not showed up.

"Diya!" Ameera smiled, waving excitedly at her.

And all the while, a cloud of guilt surfaced her mind. Ameera thought of her as a friend, a close confidant, and if not for the fact that they liked the same person, Diya would have reciprocated the same mutual feeling.

"What is she doing here?" Amna whispered, only to receive a stern glare from her elder sister.

Diya got up from her seat to greet her friend, making sure to muster up a smile to hide her disappointment.

"Eid Mubarak! It's so nice to see you here!"Ameera flung her arms at Diya and gave her a squeeze.

"What brings you here?" Diya asked, looking at Kawthar.