Chapter 32

A knock pulled the Princess out of her flow of concentration and her brush halted. As she turned away from the canvas, her eyes met Haifa's who gave her a smile.

"I hope I'm not disturbing you," Haifa said, as she popped her head through the door.

"No, no! Come in!" Thaina replied. "Take a seat,"

Haifa sat on the velvet lounge perched against the wall, and watched as the Princess moved her brush again.

"What are you painting?"

"A gift for Diya, you mentioned she completed her training the other day," Thaina said, swirling her brush in a pool of paint.

"You don't have to," Haifa appealed, but the Princess shook her head.

"I know, but I wanted to give her something to celebrate,"

"She will love it,"

As Haifa watched the Princess return her focus on the canvas, a comfortable silence drifted between them. Haifa stood up to look at the few pieces of art hanging on the walls. Many were landscape paintings of the view from the room, the vibrant hues of red imitating the rooves of the city. Another canvas portrayed an image of stone and rock with a stream of water flowing between them, a familiar scene of the caverns outside the city gates. Haifa smiled, memories of childhood warming her heart.

"How is Diya coping?" Thaina asked.

"My mother tells me she is better Alhamdulillah,"

"And you?"

"Hm?" Haifa hummed, turning to the Princess.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better, I guess," Haifa pondered, unsure of the answer herself.

"I heard about what happened with the woman. It is very courageous of you to take her in," Thaina affirmed, placing her brush and pallete down before rubbing her stained fingertips on a ragged piece of cloth.

"But I worry that I may be causing a bigger problem, I don't want to make things worse," Haifa sighed.

"You did good, trust me. You saved her didn't you? And good is only accompanied by more good," The Princess assured her, as they took a seat on the lounge.

"It's my turn to ask you now, how are you feeling?"

"I-I don't know," Thaina answered, her eyes focused on her hands.

"Are you sure?"

"I mean, I was the one encouraging him to remarry, but I guess now there is a valid reason to do so," Thaina mumbled, her smile fading.

"And you are ok with it?" Haifa continued.

"I have to be, I've encouraged him all this time and I can't go against it now,"

As she spoke, Haifa noticed how the Princess' voice became tight.

Thaina, on the other hand, was trying her best to hold back her tears. She didn't want to cry about this, instead trying to convince herself to be mature about the decision. But she couldn't stop the lump from forming in her throat and her eyes from turning glassy.

"Thaina, it's ok to tell me,"

"I-I hate it,"

Haifa's eyes softened, as she saw a stream of tears fall from Thaina's eyes.

"I am such a hypocrite," the Princess laughed whilst sniffling.

"It's ok to feel this way. You have every right," Haifa replied, patting her back.