It's Time

One year.

One year since she had begun learning ODM gear. During that time, it had taken her 3 weeks to learn how to put on the gear, and learn the basics of getting from one place to another.

However, it was Erwin's will that they not go to extreme with learning. Meaning, no ridiculous heights yet, and no tricky maneuvering, along with no blades as well. Hanji tried her best with learning, but there was simply not enough time. Only one experiment was completed, and they were only able to learn that by hurting herself could Valerie transform. Again, Erwin was not very keen of having an accident and Valerie freak out any more of the scouts. Then again, Valerie didn't mind either, she didn't want to become a monster again.

Cadet training enrollment came around in a flash, and before Valerie could comprehend it, she was already leaving the fort of the scouts and on her way to training. Oh boy....

Valerie POV

I took a deep breath, in the nose, out the mouth. It was finally time. I stood next to Erwin, he stood tall and stoic as ever. Underneath it all, he's actually a sweetheart. It made me wonder why I was so afraid when we first. He made no moves to harm me, he told me he pleaded to get me out of the cell, and took me under his wings.

It would be hard to leave, that was for sure. Levi... well he was a different story. I remembered how monotone he sounded when I had emerged from the nape of "my titan". Yet he had grown on me as well. When I finally noticed just how many people were lost in the scouts, how many they continued to lose, as well as how less and less people had joined, it suddenly dawned on me. The reason why he was so monotone was because he was "humanity's strongest" and it was pretty much required to stay strong.

The day the attack had happened, I had learned that as beautiful as it was, the world is also very cruel. For Levi, a man who had practically been through hell and continued to suffer, this was very true indeed. Because the person who seemed to not give a damn was always the person that cared the most. He drilled me on my techniques and stance, trying to get them as accurate as possible. In the short amount of time we spent together, and the sheer monstrosity of information that I had grown to learn, it was all for one reason.

No, it was not because he wanted to keep up appearances, or that he was a perfectionist, it was a completely different reason. He knew what Erwin had not told me. If I were to go to cadet training, it would be required of me to join the scouts. The scouts, or survey corps as they were also called, were dangerous, and death for those untrained and unfit were almost always guaranteed. In conclusion, it had not only been a head start for training, but preparation for the real world.

I trained at night with him, he taught me how to use blades, and we often raced as well. There were trees in which we would race through, and he gave me no restrictions on how high I could go. I had learned to fly.

Despite him wanting to come along, although he did not admit it I was saddened. He taught me so much, yet despite wanting him here he was not. It would be a hard goodbye for I did not know how long I would be gone. Erwin had estimated at least three years though he too was unsure. It was much too long since he had last been to training.

" Well you're off kiddo. better make sure that you put your training to use or else you will not be prepared." He clamped a hand on my shoulder and kept his face stoic as he talk to me. He had given me my proper goodbye before we had left the fort at which certain squads dwelled within. Now saying goodbye it was required of him to make the others think that he was still the same man who lead soldiers against humanity's greatest threat.

Though I knew this, I felt tears beginning to well in my eyes. Time and time again I thought that he was going to get as close as I had to a fatherly figure. I took a deep breath in and breathed a heavy sigh out. "Are you ready?"

I looked up at him, away towards the people who had been staring, then back at him He showed no emotion on his face, only his eyes held emotion. With a small nod, I turned and walked to the wagons that would transport us. As I climbed in, I spared one last glance over my shoulder, only to see the fluttering cape of the Survey Corps.