Helpfulness and a Race to Win

A/n: *sigh* Sorry for the late update you guys! I don't really have an excuse for my motivation for this book comes and goes. Not to mention I started school and just found out i'm in honors class😭 chill anyways so-I hope you guys are all doing well!!

3rd Person P.O.V

"Valerie! Valerie, wake up!"

She sat up from her bed, eyes lidded and threatening to close again. "What?" her voice was low and gravelly, and evidently full of annoyance. "Valerie, come on you gotta wake up. Shadis is gone. He went out to town" It was Mina, the girl that slept below her, who had woken her up.

She sat up groggily, groaning lowly as she stretched. "So? If he's gone then that means we can just do whatever. Not like the other guys care about us. If anything they mess around more than we do."

"No, no, no, that's the thing. The reason why we're all up," she used her finger to gesture around the barracks, where indeed everyone, was awake moving frantically, "is because they just woke up the boys. Anyone who still sleeping and didn't salute when they entered were dragged outside and forced to do laps. So come on Val, you gotta get up."

"Did- did she just call me 'Val' ? Did she just give me a nickname?

Outside the window, a multitude of the boys were running around the entire field, where even from here, she could tell they were panting and tired. So, without another word, Mina climbed down to allow the ebony haired female to climb down, and promptly begin getting ready.

In less than five minutes, her shirt, leggings and boots were on, she'd brushed her teeth and put her hair into a braid on her right side. But it was those damned straps. Always so dammed tight, and it wasn't exactly easy getting them around her breasts and bottom. 'Curse you family genes for passing down boobs and ass, especially during training'

While struggling to get the leather around her thighs, she suddenly felt another pair of hands helping her. She opened her mouth to protest, but when she turned her head, she opted to close it instead. "You're taking way too long. They'll be at the doors in seconds" Annie had stated. So without another word, Valerie had let her help, only for the door to bang open.

Thankfully, all of the girls had been dressed, and quickly saluted. 'A hand over heart...Erwin had said it represented you offering up your heart, for the sake and will of Humanity. I suppose it's a suitable meaning" Annie had not stood, and continued to keep doing the straps. "You idiot! You should've knocked!" a feminine voice had sounded. She cleared her throat. "And why, are you two ladies not finished dressing?"

Annie had answered for her. "Because ma'am. I'm helping my comrade." 'Annie, please, do NOT get into trouble because of me' "Alright...I can see that. But why can't your comrade do that on her own? And don't answer for her either. Well? Ms..."

"Ireese. And to answer your question, Annie was helping me because I was having trouble." A snicker came from a girl, and was loud enough for Valerie to hear. She knew who it was. By then, Annie had finished, and taking her sweet time, Valerie made sure to make sure everything was correct, secure, and in place. Once done, she turned around and gave her salute. "You see, I can normally do it on my own, but having an ass makes it just a bit difficult to do it quickly." Emphasis on the "bit".

Silence. Before the woman had bursted out laughing (more like dying), and confusing her to a concerning degree. The woman took a deep breath, finally composing herself.  "I like you. You've got spunk. All of you girls get on out there. We're having a race today."

~~~
Valerie P.O.V

"Alright Cadets!! Rules are, whichever gender gets through the forest and to the lake first wins, but no hitting or knocking off opponents! If any of us see you doing that, it's an automatic disqualification for you! Got it?" We all nodded.

"Um sir? I have a couple questions. One, isn't the lake off limits? I thought there were boundaries that us cadets couldn't cross. And two, what about Valerie?" A boy with freckles looked over at her. "No offense, but isn't she already versed in ODM gear? That kinda sound like an advantage..." He trailed off sheepishly.

The girls were on one side, spread out here and there, and the boys were doing the same. Now that I think about it, this is the first time they're letting us go into the woods. At least, for everyone that wasn't me.

"Right! That reminds me. Ireese, you start after everyone. As stated, you already have experience in ODM gear, can't have ya cheating for your team. And two, yes there are boundaries that you cadets cannot cross, and yes technically the lake is off limits, but does it look like I care? Shadis won't be back 'till tomorrow, we got plenty of timeee"

"Ok...?" I just shrugged. It's been awhile since I've been in the air to be honest. This would be more like a practice run, as I would call it, to see if I'm still as good as I used to be. As for the race? Sure, I'd love to win, because winning feels good, it's addictive. And then theres the blondie from earlier...

I'm gonna go and scare that little bimbo. Tease her a bit, make her lose her balance, nothing too serious. Oh...oh I can't wait for this race to start"