Chapter 5

Dear fucking Christ! It's been months since I've updated! Please don't kill me! I've been at my mom's for a while because I have been having some issues with my dad. Normally that would not hamper someone's ability to update their beloved stories. But it has mine since my mom didn't have wifi!! *que babies crying and the end of the world* But I finally gave in and bought us a badass router, so I am able to update here!!! Yay!! So without further waiting, my new chapter!!

Last chapter:
"I don't care. You will call me Claire, and I will call you Ciel." I smirk coldly. "We are family after all."
---

After Ciel and I have our little conversation, we simply drop it. Ciel finishes his breakfast while I continue focusing on how I can manage to breath. All in all, it's rather peaceful. It seems that both of us are the type that prefer silence.
Though sadly, that silence is broken when two demons walk into the dining room, taking one cleaned plate and the other, untouched. Edward takes them and walks out, to the kitchen I assume, and Sebastian bows to us as he speaks.
"My lord,the carriage is ready for our departure. Will your new guest be joining us?"
Ciel thinks for a moment as he stares at me. Then he sighs and reluctantly nods. "I suppose. I don't exactly trust her to be here alone."
I smirk slightly and look towards Edward as he walks back into the room.
"I'm guessing you've already packed my bag?"
"Of course, my lady."
"Good." I change my gaze to Ciel. "And we will get me new dresses while we're at it. Lady Elizabeth's sense of style disgusts me. Also, she's not as...physically mature as myself."
Ciel blushes and I see his eyes flicker to my chest unintentionally before looking away with an even worse blush. I chuckle slightly with amusement. At least he's better than most boys my age in my time. They just blatantly stare like sick dogs.
We quickly take our leave, saying quick words to the servants about not destroying the damned house. They didn't exactly have a chance to be surprised at my sudden presence with them, but there will be time for introductions when we return.
Edward drives the carriage as Sebastian stays inside along with Ciel and me. After a while of beautiful silence, I decide to break it.
"So where are we going?"
"My town manor." Ciel replies simply as he looks out the window.
"Oh? And what for?"
Ciel sighs at my continued questioning and finally looks at me. He's about to answer when Sebastian, sitting across from us, beats him to it.
"We are on a mission for the Queen."
I rest a finger on my chin lightly, tapping it in thought.
"Oh? Tell me about the case."
This time Ciel speaks, though he does not seem happy at including me. Tough luck.
"There's a person killing prostitutes. The murders are very violent. The newspapers have been calling him-"
"Jack the Ripper." I slowly grin. "The cases is famous."
Ciel raises an eyebrow in interest. "Oh? Good that will save us time. Who is the killer?"
I laugh softly and shake my head, causing Ciel with scoff in annoyance.
"It's famous because it's the most grotesque, unsolved murder case."
Ciel's cobalt eyes turn icy like mine as he glares.
"What do you mean they are unsolved?"
I smirk wider. Poor thing. Can't even understand.
"I mean that, according to history, you fail your dear Queen on this case."
Ciel doesn't reply. Instead he just gives a huff and stares out the window again in a pout. I giggle but stay silent the rest of the ride.
An hour or so later, we arrive at the town house. It's rather impressive. In my time the hous has been updated to look my sleek and modern. Here it has a charming personality to it. Though of course I won't tell the bastard and his servant that.
"Edward get our bags."
"Sebastian get our bags."
Ciel and I look at each other with both amusement and annoyance as we speak at the same time. People might assume we are fucking twins if we continue that.
Edward and Sebastian merely chuckle and both do as we told them to. After that we walk inside the manor.
Off in the living room, we hear faint voices, so we walk towards the sounds.
"Good heavens where do they keep the tea in this house?"
"I don't see it anywhere."
The room contains three people, who are making an utter mess. Looking for fucking tea.
Quickly, before they can see us I sit in a chair, my back straight. I do admit, I have a flair for dramatics. When I'm as comfortable as I can be with a death trap around my waist, I take my hair out of its bun. Blue tinted, tight ringlets tumble down my neck, just barely resting on my shoulders. I ruffle it a little in the front so that bangs on both sides frame my face, giving the appearance of shyness.
Ciel gives me a questioning look, but sits on the arm of the chair I'm in, just as someone steps through the door.
'And so it begins.' I allow a mental smirk.
"Madam Red?! Lau?! What are you doing here?!"
The woman, Madam Red looks over at us with a look of surprise.
"Oh, you're here rather quickly." She offers Ciel a slight grin. "I've come to see my lovely nephew, who told me he was making his way to London."
I look at her curiously. Nephew? She looks nothing like Ciel. The first thing I think of when looking at Ciel is 'sick up his ass and something died up there kid' and when I look at Madam Red, I just think well, red. Red hair red dress red hat. Just red.
The man looks Asian, Chinese I believe, with a busty woman who obviously has no modesty hanging off of his arm.
'Aren't Asians small chested usually?', I think to myself with mild humor and curiosity.
"Earl! How wonderful to see you again. May I ask who this lovely tigress is?" The man's voice is vey dazed, and I smell the faint hint of something sickeningly sweet. It takes me a moment to realize what it is, and when I do, I have to hold back a smirk. Opium. Of course.
My entire demeanor changes as soon as he and the Madam look at me. Of course, I am still sitting straight, as a proper lady of this time period does. But now, my head is tilted downwards slightly, so that I'm looking up at the man through my dark and long eyelashes. I am also fiddling with my necklace, bringing attention to my breasts, though acting like I don't realize it.
I speak before Ciel has a chance. "I'm Claire Ford. It's a pleasure meeting you, sir." My voice is gentle and soft spoken. Like a little kitten when it's tired. Vulnerable. Innocent. The Chinese man smiles, his squinting eyes becoming even smaller to where I can't even see them.
"I am Lau. And the honor is mine, dear butterfly. And this is my little sister, Ran-mao." Yes, of course, little sister. Right. He talks in a fairly seductive tone, and I pretend not to notice. He takes my hand and kisses it lightly, lingering there for just a moment longer than is proper before pulling back and sitting down across the room, I fein an embarrassed blush, my pale cheeks dusting with a soft pink.
Lau's attention returns to Ciel as he continues speaking. "I heard rumors that something of interest is afoot."
Ciel's eye twitches slightly and I hear him mutter. "A most troublesome pair has done and shown up..."
I giggle lightly, but keep it sweet to go along with my role.
Edward steps inside the room, tea on a little trolley. In a pot there is a little steam rolling into the air lazily, while beside it lays a pitcher of cold tea, sweet I'm guessing. The damned dog demon somehow made it cold without the ice. I hate ice.
He smiles charmingly at the others in the room.
"Please excuse my interruption, but I have brought tea."
The Madam and Chinese man look at Edward with curiosity as they take their seats.
"Ciel, who is this?" Madam Red moves her eyes to Ciel.
"That is Lady Claire's servant, Edward."
Edward pours all of them a hot cup of Earl Gray, then hands me a small glass of cold sweet tea. I look at him shyly and smile gently. "Thank you very much Eddy."
"You're very welcome, Claire." He smiles back just as winningly as I did at him.
You see, he and I have code words of sorts, to make sure we are on the same page of what 'character' we are to play. 'Eddy' and 'Claire' are what we call each other in this character. The innocent girl and the butler who is her friend. A rather sickeningly sweet and unusual pair, for this time.
Everyone in the room look surprised, even the red eyed demon named Sebastian. I take enjoyment at the fact that I surprised him.
"You see Grell?? Learn from him!"
The third man I didn't bother to notice earlier looks down meekly and nods solemnly. "Yes, mistress." He has librarian glasses, and long chocolate brown hair trapped inside a ribbon tied into a bow.
When I take a moment to look at him, I feel instant suspicion build up in my stomach. A little thing that you would call a gut feeling. He's lying. He's doing the same thing I am: performing. I hold back a smirk at what I noticed so quickly.
"Lady Claire, might you explain what you're doing here with my nephew? You don't sound as though you are from England." Madam Red states politely, though it can see the viscous curiosity and need for gossip in her eyes.
I look up at her and bite my lip in shyness. I play with my hair as though because of nervous.
"My father owns a shipping company that Lord Phantomhive is considering to use to transport products to the Americas."
This sparks even more interest in her eyes as she looks to Ciel to confirm this. I'll admit, it's not that funny because Ciel manages to hide his surprise so well as he noes in agreement. Damn. Anyway, she looks back at me.
"So that is an American accent you have? I have met a few people from there, but they speak a tad more...proper than yourself."
I smile a little more and fein a blush. "Oh, I'm from the south. Louisiana, actually. I'm sure you haven't heard of it. We used to be a territory that belong to the French until President Jefferson purchased the land. We have become very Americanized."
"Oh, a smart girl. It's good you know your home's history."
I blush a little more. "You're too kind." I allow my Cajan accent to slip a little more into my speech, since they know I'm from there. The fact that I live in Louisiana wasn't a lie.
"Well anyway, father wanted me to visit England, so he made a deal with Lord Phantomhive that allows me to stay with him and he can use my family's shipping company for a lower cost." She nods in understanding.
Finally we leave the topic of myself to rest, and focus on the case instead.
Lau sips his tea as he smirks slightly. "I am very curious to see what the Queen's Watchdog will sniff out."
Ciel's eyes narrow as he moved on the arm of my seat to get more comfortable. "What are you getting at? "
Lau stands as he shrugs innocently. He walks towards us as he speaks.
"Have you the courage to gaze upon the scene of the crime? The darkness and bestial odor that saturates the scene will eat away at those with the same karma. You may be trapped in madness should you set foot there."
He makes it to us finally and slowly traps both Ciel and me in his arms, leaning close between our faces. His words cause me to drop my act momentarily and stare at him with my wintry, icy blues as Ciel does the same.
"Are you two prepared for that, Earl of Phantomhive and little Lady Claire?"
Ciel's voice has dropped a dangerous octave when he chooses to speak. "We are here to eliminate 'her' distress. Do not waste my time with your worthless questions."
"And, it is very inappropriate to be so close to a lady, mister Lau." My voice matches Ciel's, though a bit higher.
Lau ignored my words and just stares at the two of us. "Yes, lovely. Very lovely those eyes you both have."
Okay, he is now on my you're a fuckin' creep list.
And suddenly he grabs both of our hands and pulls us up behind him, grinning widely.
"Well since that's now been decided, let's be off!"
Ciel and just look at each other with utter bafflement.
'What the fuck just happened?'
"Wait! No one said we were going to the scene of the crime." Ciel and I break out of Lau's hold. I quickly regain my composure and go back into character. I look at Ciel.
"My Lord, what do you suggest then?"
Lau speaks with surprise. "My lord, don't tell me..."
Ciel sighs and looks distraught with uncomfort.
"I'd like to avoid it myself, but that isn't an option. He is the most reliable source of information regarding crimes like this."
We leave quickly, with idiots one, two and three. Then we arrive somewhere that makes me slowly smirk.
'I should have known...'
As we stand in front of the shop, Ciel on one side of me, Edward on the other with Sebastian on the side opposite of me from Ciel, Lau breaks the silence.
"So...where are we?"
We all look at him with exasperation. And Madam Red shrieks.
"Weren't you just acting like you know all about it??"
Sebastian opens the door for all of us and we step inside.
Ciel is in front with me right behind. He calls into the shop that smells of decaying flowers and rotting flesh. "Are you in...Undertaker?"
We hear a quiet laugh throughout the room, and suddenly a coffin we pass by creaks open.
"I bid you welcome, Lord Earl..." His voice is just as scratchy and unpleasant seeming as usual, in my time.
Everyone besides myself, Ciel, and the demons jump back with a yell. I chuckle quietly and a slight smirk.
'Looks like I'm not the only one with a love of the dramatics.'